Sorry for the probably bad nomenclature.. I am looking now at shaping my stem/apron. From the front it seems logical - all books I have have a shape to the follow so I can print a template and stick it to the front.

What is confusing me somewhat is whether or not the depth tapers as well or is the side size the same across its length...The Swam books have a dual taper (so 14'' top to 10'' at keel) and 12'' keel to 10'' at boxing - though this looks to me more like the default keel tapering and not a taper impacting the rest of the apron?

My guess is that the side width is stable and the front width tapers around to plan. But if someone could confirm either way then that would be great..

(It's with regard to me 32 gun Amphion in case that's relevant - the sizes will obviously be larger than the Swan)

The same tapering can be found in the scantlings in Steel's Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture 1805 and The Shipbuilder's repository 1788.   The following are the dimensions for a 32 gun.

Allan

Headtaper.PNG.f159c13a361e247015270eaf78351e47.PNG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

thanks, though isn't that the knee of the head?

I have must replaced my pc and my turbocad program is refusing to activate so once that is sorted I will add a direct plan of the part in question. Sorry for any confusion (though the knee information will be useful when i move to that section)

Edited by Matrim

Hope the following is helpful,  The following is from Steel  for a 32

STEM  To be moulded 1' 3"
   to be athwartships or sided at the head 1' 7"
   And to diminish from the head to the lower side of the 
   lower cheek to upper cheek

To be sided at the keel 1'1" (same as the keel at the fore end)

APRON- The false stem, or apron, to be 8.5" thick (SR gives 9.5") broad as the stem if rabbet is in the middle, 
otherwise 1' 7" 
To give proper shift to the scarphs of the stem, and the 

scarphs to be 1' 2" in length (SR - 10.5")

Allan

All the scantlings from the 1719 Establishment through Steel's Elements and Practice can be found in Scantlings of Royal Navy Ships at Seawatch Books.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU