Blue Shadow by Sergey Karelia - Mamoli

About 10 years ago, I assembled a Blue Shadow model from MAMOLI.
Then I had few skills and collected everything according to the instructions. The model turned out to be childishly naive, but cute. Mainly due to the rich rigging.
Two years ago, I replaced all the rigging with threads of my own twisting, as the threads from the set were covered with dust and began to look not presentable. And he gave this ship to his colleague.
For better preservation, I made a showcase, but it did not fit into the interior of my friend and he took it off. And it so happened that the children dropped the model. The results of the crash are in the photo. Now I have to put Niagara aside and do the restoration of Blue Shadow.
I'm thinking of making the model better than it was. There is a lot of work to be done:
- I've already cut all the rigging. Completely;
- I will clear the deck, the deck will need to be cleaned of varnish and brought to the same color, I will add imitation nagels;
- I will make a new becket, a pump, make a minimum strapping of guns, modify anchors, replace channels and yufers and blocks (I will make smaller);
- maybe I'll add something else.

thus, for the third time I take up this model

s4.PNG

s3.PNG

s1.PNG

s2.PNG

5 hours ago, Sergey Karelia said:

does anyone have examples of Blue Shadow builds? to strive for

No finished ones here, but there are plenty of finished gun brigs from that time period for more general reference.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Hello,

This is a kit that attracted my attention many years ago, and I started a build that I abandoned for one reason or another.

I had hopes of making a nice decorator model.  I didn't create a build log, but I took a few pictures.

image.thumb.jpeg.feb4f94879521d6d57919674af2373aa.jpeg

I experimented with tree-nailing, but my work in this regard really has it's shortcomings.   Something I don't care for on my models anymore.  I felt the kit plans for the headrails were really awkward and not anything like I had seen on any actual ship, so I was working on improving that, but it was a feature I didn't finish.  ( The mounting base was temporary )

image.thumb.jpeg.1070270891a63dfaa02f272ee0cd1f07.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0d6db5b422c378ddf417017016c383e2.jpeg

I reached the point where I was going to start the rigging but never went forward, and got distracted by other projects. So I really can't offer any specific suggestions in that regard.

I believe if you look at any number of build logs there are some great rigging tricks and tips.

Keep in mind that the principles of rigging, and the various ropes needed to get the work done, stay pretty much the same from ship to ship, with the details of little concern unless you are trying to duplicate a documented ship and it's rigging.

The amount of rigging would be the main difference, depending on  the number of masts, yards and etc..

A book like "The Rigging of Period Ship Models " would provide a lot of information for the general principles.

Re-doing the deck shoudn't be too much trouble, If you can acquire some very thin veneer to make your own strips.

When I was working on my build, I found the following web site a bit of inspiration:

https://www.van-vliet.org/dempseywoodworking/blueshadow.shtml

If you Google " Mamoli Blue Shadow " images, you might see some other builds at other locations.

I will watch your work with interest and offer any help I can.

Gregory

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon