HMS Nelson 1945 Pontos Upgrade Set

patrickmil

Hopefully a quick and easy question! I have the Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson kit and the Pontos upgrade set. The Pontos instructions are abysmal. I noted that there are many porthole and hatch parts in the PE sheets yet these are mentioned nowhere in the instructions. Does anybody know if you are supposed to replace the molded on detail with the PE parts? The hatches would be a definitive improvement in my opinion. If you did, is there enough to cover the ship? I'd hate to get started and then run out before getting to everything I aim to improve.

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Patrick,

I have the Hood 1/200 and Pontos detail set in hand, if they are similar then there should be enough PE replacements to allow all moulded portholes and doors to be replaced.

I’m afraid the instructions across their range aren’t great so you need to carefully plan each step in advance including dry fitting so as not to box yourself into a corner.

Gary

Thanks for the encouragement Gary!

Thanks,

Patrick

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Next question...

They will keep coming as I look over this and get some sub-assemblies together. I have seen some really excellent floater baskets detailing so many of these WW2 ship kits. What I have not seen, anywhere, is the floater nets to fill the baskets. I have exhausted my search capabilities. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd like to replicate, if possible and not mind-numbingly difficult, something like in this picture off of Facebook.

image.png.6d69eb4e1dbda4fccd5f544b9b1bc457.png

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Patrick

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne

Please bear in mind I have no idea what I'm talking about - but looking at the Facebook pic made me think of plugs used to conceal screw holes.

plugs.png.72a4d8be4d8a986150dbe5bd621af2c5.png

This company makes them in lots of sizes and different woods.

Stringing them to simulate the net floats seems doable.

• 4 weeks later...

Another question. I'm modeling Nelson in the boring 1944 scheme. I know.... I just don't have the guts for all of the masking involved with so many delicate little parts at stake. To this end, there seems to be some conflicting ideas on paint scheme. Trumpeter shows the turret tops on the primary and secondary armament painted in a darker color but no difference in steel decking color from the main grey color.

Black and white photos for HMS Nelson in "Standard Scheme A" are not numerous and most only show at water line view. The aerial photos are, for the most part, blurry and hard to make out any color differences. I have seen numerous builds and the horizontal surfaces vary.

Any thoughts or experts on the matter?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Thanks,

Patrick

- John Wayne