Revenge mizzen query

OllieS
Go to solution Solved by chris watton,

I am trying to decide whether the mizzen mast on my Revenge should have a small lanteen sail above the large lanteen sail. The mast is set up with a top so there is certainly room for one (unlike the bonaventure) but various prints seem to show it on slightly later galleons and in the Kirsch book Galleon but not on earlier Elizabethan ships like the Revenge. So it looks like it wasn't normally used and if it existed then the spar was on the deck not aloft. I think the Amati Revenge does have this spar fitted but I'm not sure I want to follow that. Any help on this would be appreciated :) 

• Solution

When designing Revenge, I was in close contact with an expert of this period (I no longer have his details, as this was 15 years ago). Revenge was a very large vessel for her time, and I was told she would have had that upper lateen yard. This is also shown in many contemporary pictures, so I was advised to add it.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

5 minutes ago, chris watton said:

When designing Revenge, I was in close contact with an expert of this period (I no longer have his details, as this was 15 years ago). Revenge was a very large vessel for her time, and I was told she would have had that upper lateen yard. This is also shown in many contemporary pictures, so I was advised to add it.

Thanks. Perfect advice.