Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Minnesota, USA
  • Interests
    Square rigged ships, Medieval and Roman armor, ancient siege engines, WWII machine guns and German infantry reenactment, adventure motorcycling

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I am skeptical of McKay's work because of many inaccuracies pointed out by others more knowledgeable than myself, yet admit that model companies often get rigging incorrect as well. R.C. Anderson seems a better source to rely on for accuracy, all the while remembering that the belaying points are largely still a mystery for vessels this old. Some guesses are based on general sources on rigging knowledge from the time in question, but sources specific to a particular vessel are pretty much nonexistent for the 17th century. I have had to mix rigging plans from multiple sources in a foreign la
  2. I LOVE what you did with the Plexiglas to simulate the water! I can't wait to see the effect when you are finished. Inspirational.
  3. I just discovered this build log, having recently bought a copy of San Francisco II. Despite all the problems you faced, like very ship build encounters, your galleon came out looking spectacular! I like your choice in color. Rigged ship models are difficult, and that's why very few people these days endure the time and effort to build them. Congratulations!
  4. New is good. You will really enjoy learning this hobby, and you have the support of dozens of forum members for help. Best of luck!
  5. I think he may be talking about balsa filling blocks, not planking. Blocks of balsa glued between the frames and shaped to the hull form. Planking over the top of all that makes for smooth curves and no hard bends (creating a fold line at a frame) or flat spots.
  6. I added some wooden rope edging to the display case to cover the table edge after taking some more pictures with the cell phone. I am DEFINITELY NOT a photographer.
  7. The 1965 four door Ford Galaxy 500 was our family car when I was young. Dad spent hours trying to tune the carburetor every Fall to prepare for Winter. The car was strong enough to tow the boat.
  8. The guys at the other forum didn't like the huge Chinese fish. I really didn't either, so a more elegant solution for supporting the center of the ship was created. It was done without smashing almost three years of work too. Lifting the Plexiglas off and putting it back over the ship is always a risky affair. I salvaged the grossly oversized fish for something else, and devise a center saddle out of the leftover Corel base parts. It's a LOT less distracting. It took a while chisel the epoxy off the table pine wood, but no damage was done. The new saddle looks slimmer. Thanks for the great f
  9. HMS Sovereign of the Seas, based on the DeAgostini kit. No worries, EJ. The "shouldas" don't bother me. The serve as a basis for improvement, both for me and others.
  10. Well, a lot of lessons were learned. Many minor mistakes were made in building La Couronne. Here is a list of the ones that come to mind. They might help another builder. 1) The violin blocks are not installed upside down on the cargo lifting tackles on the fore mast and main mast, port and starboard. 2) I forgot to install the decks and cannon carriages for the escape guns on the stern. Had to use some clever means of lowering the deck pieces with glue on them into the ship's stern from the top on the end of a stick. 3) Sail reinforcement bands for the reef points go on the rear side of
  • Create New...