first model goof

Go to solution Solved by Snug Harbor Johnny,

Hi, I am doing my first model in 20 years and first wood in over 50. I have a grand backs dory. I got the frame glued up and the garbord plank put on. Problem the firt one got sanded to deep and there is a big gap between thegarbord and the broad planks. This can be filled with scrap from the sheet. What kind of wood filler can I use to feather out the patch. do you have any other ideas that would work. Any advice is greatly appreciate thanks

dory.jpg

• Solution

I'd put a backing piece of thin wood on the inside (with a little Saran Wrap between it and the planks so there can be no accidental gluing) held in place with a couple clamps ... use two horizontal strips on the outside to prevent the clamps from denting the outside of the planking.  Then cut a piece of patching plank from the same wood as the planking ... having a card-stock template (made with trial fittings) can help, then by lightly tracing around the card stock with a mechanical pencil will give you a slightly oversized patch that you can shave where needed.

It should be still be sung before gluing.  Use blue 'painters tape' to mask around the edges of the planking already in place to prevent glue slops.  (That can also be done on the inside before step one as an added precaution.)  Sparingly put glue on the edges of the patch and the planks, and that will act as a 'lubricant' to ease the snug patch in place ... use Titebond or equivalent aliphatic resin wood glue.  If needed due to the shape of the area, place Saran wrap over the patch before the glue 'grabs', cover with another piece of thin wood, then clamp as needed - the wood 'outer sandwich' inside and out will prevent denting from the clamps.  Do not use too much clamping pressure, or excess force can 'telegraph' through the protective wood and affect the planking beneath.

Give it a couple hours at least ... half a day is better - what's the rush?  Then undo everything, and you should be able to LIGHTLY sand the area with very fine sandpaper and a little closed-cell foam in back of the sandpaper.  Everything should blend well enough - of course there will be evidence of a join - but repairs were not uncommon on wooden boats.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think most if not all of us have been there with you.  Just takes some time and practice.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)