Cutty Sark by Richard Dunn - 1/40 scale - scratch built semi-kit prototype

22 minutes ago, Scottish Guy said:

Hi Richard, maybe a bit late but just joined the forum a week ago. I would be interested even if the size would be a bit hard to chew for me (would have to build a model of this size in the garage or garden under a gazebo. But in a smaller size like 1:75 I definitely would volunteer for a trial.

I love the Cutty Sark and there is a nice model (with wrong hull design I guess) in 1:75, also the Revell 1:96 is a great size but I don´t really like the plastic kit, but there should be a wooden kit available somewhere though.

Micha

Artisania Latina has a 1:84 scale CS kit - perhaps a good 'compromise' scale to consider.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

16 minutes ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Artisania Latina has a 1:84 scale CS kit - perhaps a good 'compromise' scale to consider.

Hope I don´t step on someones toes now but I don´t like the Artisania Latina Models, also not their scales.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

Currently I am not planning to produce this at any other scale than 1/40, as I said at the start this was a request for a single client and I merely wanted to put it out into the community in case any others wanted it in this scale as well.

To produce this even at 1/48 would involve having to completely redo the 3d model and start from scratch again, not only is it a huge amount of work but I would have to charge my time and make an already expensive semi kit simply too much for most people.
I am happy to do it at 1/40 though, any request, for this please pm from now on as the prototype is finished now and client has the model.
I do want a minimum number of orders to make this viable and this is not the only site I have done a build on for this particular project.

On 4/10/2024 at 11:32 PM, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

This model barely even looks like CS, wrong lines, out of scale features and planking just as start, I am not going to say anything else as  most people are aware of this already.
My kit is for people who want an accurate model. and are able to and prepared to do a lot of scratch building as well.

10 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Wait, what? No final pictures?

Was a bit surprised about that mself @ccoyle but we have to accept it. I hope Richard gets some pictures out and I´m still interested in it, even in the 1:40 scale (have to empty my garage for it somehow) but I would really love it.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

9 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Wait, what? No final pictures?

The kit as far as it was required was complete, sorry I have not updated this build as much as others.
I have not had time to plank the hull or deck yet as other paid work has come up.
I will post some images soon

2 minutes ago, Richard Dunn said:

I have not had time to plank the hull or deck yet as other paid work has come up.

That´s ok @Richard Dunn, we all have a life and that often sucks the life or energy out of us and much more often it has priorities that are more important than others. So don´t apologise for your life, it keeps you going.

3 minutes ago, Richard Dunn said:

I will post some images soon

Looking forward to see the progress. I sent you a pm about the project.

Micha

Current Build:

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a

• 2 weeks later...