Soleil Royal by EricWiberg - Heller - 1/100 - started 45 years ago

Ian - I hope this helps! The two on top are 30mm long (way too big, but they were practice). The bottom four are 20mm long, and I personally am liking the one in the middle of the second row, as the tail and body are a bit beefier. Maybe even the right-hand one in the second row with it, simply because they are similar, but clearly different. My story would be that they were carved by two different wood carvers!

20240814_101027.thumb.jpg.fc3f5c607701c7c40af07a73f32d79a9.jpg

Posted (edited)

Well, I have any number of dolphins now to choose from... and the smallest ones are down to 15-18mm in length, so I think - based on drawings and other models - that the size is scale appropriate. I am not sure of my terminology, but there are three parts to the "hance" at the sheer step (?)., and this is what I have so far.

20240816_064559.thumb.jpg.631e8dc13b1fee693e9beee902d33760.jpg

The first part is the curved stock plank that ties together the two different railings together (note the blue circle on the piece); I will refer to this as the "hance piece". Next, I want a simple curved ribbon (name? - also a "hance piece"?) nestled into the curve of the hance piece where the bulwark has been cut away, and this appears to be the primary support for the dolphin.

20240815_121025.thumb.jpg.f1c0ae304b021d1c5b7023eb11d78abf.jpg

However, it is obvious that the curls at the ends are too big. They need to be nice and small... so I made a jig and will figure out how to make those tiny curls at the ends.

20240815_113803.thumb.jpg.cea9e1c55883ae68fcb9e48970f43a73.jpg

Compared to my learning curve for the dolphins, it should be a lot quicker to make the curled hance pieces. It's a bit more difficult as I want the ribbon to be 2.5mm wide to match the thickness of the bulwark. I am finding that the Apoxie Sculpt needs to be 2-3 hours old, almost at the point that it is unworkable, otherwise the ribbon wants to deform every so slightly from its own weight.

Edited by EricWiberg

College soccer is back, so coaching will slow any work in the ship yard way down for the next few months. However, I did get the look that I wanted for the first sheer step, especially with the 1.5mm half-round (it took some experimenting with boiling water to bend the Evergreen piece into shape).

The dolphin needs a little clean up now that the Apoxie Sculpt has cured and I think I will trim some of the hance piece (under the curved piece of half-round) so that only a little bit shows under the half-round to match the rest of the horizontal run. Otherwise I can move on to the next sheet step, as I already have the clay pieces made.

I am wondering if in real-life, there was a curved base that the belly of the dolphin would nestle into for additional support?

20240820_200913.thumb.jpg.8113e1a855612f46ea6b3e8d31a5ca48.jpg

Aaah, coaching - extremely rewarding, but time-consuming!  I can relate to the fact that it is definitely very difficult to find energy and time when the season is on.

Dolphins look truly awesome - nicely done!  As for there being more connection to the dolphin belly, they were drawn to suggest open space, but for practical strength purposes, it does not seem unreasonable that there might have been complete connection, with the inner scroll carved as a raised relief.

IMG_2333.jpeg

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

OK.. that's about it for labor in the shipyard for this weekend... it's too nice outside!

I did solve my dolphin issue at the sheer steps. I was unhappy that the dolphin body was all in the same plane. I needed the belly to rest on the carving and the head and tail to come out from the body 2-3mm so they could be on the side of the rail.

So I finally figured out to have 2mm Evergreen "steps" for the head and tail to rest on. Now the belly is not in the same plane as the head and tail. However, I will be waiting for some time to glue in the dolphins, I think, as they might as well have a sign on their necks that says "fragile, please knock me off!"

20240830_105942.thumb.jpg.50931cf9e299b5b953b4ed831a42ca9e.jpg

20240831_092211.thumb.jpg.be1108230d8cada18235e6adc3946745.jpg

I am so close to glueing in the bulwarks so I can finish the upper wales and get to "listons d or". It is time to clean up and make sure all of the holes are drilled etc. And I also am giving lots of thought to the quarter gallery layout... due to the sheer of the wales, I cannot use the kit QG. The inner bulwark planking needs a light scribe to finish it, etc.

20240831_092300.thumb.jpg.8b6a1de90645538bd9c1bcc76d341f4c.jpg

20240831_092114.thumb.jpg.eabfb1ad7e0bbd52165ae8f33bb54693.jpg

Edited by EricWiberg

For the lion's heads on the inside of Vasa's gun port lids, I made a master - then poured a two-part silicone resin over it.  Once cured, the mold is flexible and the original popped out (the base being flat).  Duplicates are done in two-part epoxy put into the mold and drawn flat against the back surface of the mold.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel posted this link in his Victory log of the Texel Roads diorama.  Many wonderfully detailed photos of ships being worked.  What is very evident to me are the design parallels between these early Dutch ships of the 1660’s and their French counterparts, often designed by naval architects with Dutch training backgrounds, like Laurent Hubac:

https://www.modellmarine.de/index.php/fotogalerien/178-/1624-die-reede-von-texel-teil-2

The head structure, the pronounced tumblehome, steep sheer, broad sterns - it is all there.

The draft and underwater lines would of course be different, in order to navigate the more shallow Dutch coastal waterways.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.