After the Shipwright Kit??

Hi guys, 

First time post here, though I’ve been doing lots and lots of browsing.  I recently purchased the Model Shipways Shipwright series and am well on my way into the Pram.  I am really enjoying this new hobby, but definitely find it intimidating and difficult.  My dory is done and is a bit of a trainwreck, but it was educational and a great start.  

I’m already shopping for ship/boat number 4 but want something that is just a small step up from the Lobster Smack.  Yet I do want a bit of a challenge.  Can you guys give me some recommendations for what I should try out?

Thanks!

Travis

Travis,

You have a decision to make. You are working on the beginner's three boat series where you will learn about wood, paints, tools and the basic practice of ship model building. Good for you. You are off to a good start.

But what then?  You have three choices:

1. Ship modeling just isn't your "thing." Give it up and do something else.

2.  If you enjoy ship modeling pick another kit a bit more challenging than the last, a brig, schooner or fishing boat, and build it just for fun according to the supplied plans.

3. Get really deep into the hobby and research every part of your next build to make it as historically accurate as possible. It may be a kit or a scratch build, but the real fun is in the research.

Most of us repeat step 2 several times before we plunge into step 3.

I find that the range of possibilities for ship types to be so large that being overwhelmed into something like catatonia to be the result.  My solution is to pick an era - or ship type  - something to reduce the  seduction of another "interesting type".-  Finding a story to tell can also help.   If you can do this, then you can choose a quality kit of a vessel with less complication and less breadth of complexity from within these self imposed limits.  Also, having a target challenge can help get over and thru the inevitable time when your muse goes on vacation or you need a break. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 2 weeks later...

I’m working on the third boat of the series right now. I definitely need a lot more practice and experience before I feel confident enough to jump into something expensive. I ended up finding a kit on clearance (50% off) that I liked, which will be my 4th boat. Depending on your budget and how you feel after the third boat, that may be something to consider.  Of course make sure you get something that interests you, that is definitely the most important aspect of any hobby. 

Edited by SiriusVoyager

- Eric

In the shipyard: OcCre Palamos

Finished:  Norwegian Sailing Pram, Lowell Grand Banks Dory, Muscongus bay lobster smack 

Drafting:  Cala Esmeralda, La Belle Poule schooner