Brodie stove and associated deck area .HMS Diana

If I may, I would also like you to compare the two drawings where I have highlighted the floor underneath the Brodie stove where there looks to be an extra bottom plate or layer of some sort. I appreciate there is a layer of tiles underneath the stove but this would not extend between the ridiing bits and the other forward bitts for the Jeers. This extra layer can be seen on the MRG drawing as a dotted line. I do not understand what this is for. Any help in any way would be very grateful  and I appreciate your past and present patience. Best regards Dave

20240108_045232(1).thumb.jpg.2189d177f9c2b7c912645686e4e794ca.jpgj5549.jpg.e31bcc33fccfea612428cefd0e5a41d5.jpg

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Good Morning Dave;

Contracts from the period stipulate the following for the cook room:

I have added the words in square brackets for clarity.

'To lead [meaning the metal sheet material] and lay cants for the fireplace, to line the underside of the deck & forecastle beams [meaning the ceiling overhead] with lead & double tin plates all round within the compass of the heat of the fire, to cover the upper deck [within the area outlined by the cants] with lead 7lb to the foot square & to put up such convenient dressers and lockers as shall be necessary. 

Cants are timbers laid flat on the deck to create a kerb, or upstand, around the area of the cook room. 

All the best,

Mark 

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

The contract is really interesting.  Brian Lavery discusses this as well.  What I found interesting is that in both the contract Mark posted (and others I checked) as well as Lavery, there is no mention of tiling under the stove with the advent of the iron stoves replacing brick fire hearths about 1750.  From Lavery's Arming and Fitting, page 199, regarding the iron stoves:  The whole structure rested on a flat metal base, and the deck underneath was specially strengthened to hold it, with deck carlines that were thicker than usual.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Posted (edited)

Two points to consider. Firstly, drawings are not definitive when it comes to fixtures and fittings.  And secondly, the contract only takes the ship to the point of handover to (usually) a Royal Dockyard for fitting out, tiles could be added during fit-out, the silence in the contract or drawings does not preclude this.  

I assume the addition of the stove itself was by the navy at the appointed Royal dockyard and not by the Contractor?

Gary

Edited by Morgan

Thank you for your quick replies and interesting to see that the tiles could have been added after hand over . Does this mean that both tiles and the metal sheeting could be fitted at the same time. I will take another look and see what other modelllers have come up with and whether or not any have applied both tiles and metal sheet.

One more question if I may regarding the fllu  of a brodie stove. How was this sealed in the area where it passed through the deck  above?

Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour