Searching for a serving mashine to buy in europe for the rigging

I second Wefalck’s suggestion.  The key to one of these otherwise simple machines is a set of gears.  Since the machine works at very slow speeds and carries very little load, plastic gears work just fine.  These are readily available from online sources like Amazon.  The photo below shows a serving machine that I built several years ago using ordinary workshop equipment and scrap materials in my shop.  The gears are inside of the two vertical slots.  There are no bearings, just holes in the four vertical MDF pieces.  The shaft is steel but you could use Aluminum or in a pinch even plastic.  The clips to hold the line being served are Alligator clips widely used in the electrical/electronics industry.

Roger

2C26E079-86EA-417F-9DE9-973139AC5F13.thumb.jpeg.5563a13b69204cd8d149a6c5dc8fc525.jpeg

Edited by Roger Pellett

@wefalck and @Roger Pellett: thank you both for your advice. Yes, one can build that, for sure. It would need it's time for research the materials, form, size, etc, etc, etc. While time for itself ist fortunatly not the bottleneck, but time, where I have enough power, energy, motivation, and, have allready all the tasks life itself rates higher than ship modelling, done, is in my case ver rare! So, if I can buy me more modelling time, I do that! Sure, you can't know that, but, if possible, I wan't to buy something ready to work with, or at least, just assemble it 🙂 

So, I'm still searching for something out of the EU. Thank you all for your suggestions.

There is this Ukrainian (I think) fellow, Domanoff, who currently lives in Poland and sells his serving machines as well as the ropewalks he designed. I don't own any of his machines, so I cannot express my own opinion on how great/bad they are, but If, for some reason you don't want to build your own, he is one of the options.

Just Google "Domanoff serving machine" and you'll find his address.

The machina arrived as a kit today, all very well packaged:

20240120_124328.thumb.jpg.c028dacf6766a5fce285f845587b84a5.jpg

There are no extra instructions, I used the one one youtube. Ather than in the video, some parts are allready pre-build:

20240120_124633.thumb.jpg.eb9029b10147185e39537cbbd2f38694.jpg

No problems while assembling the rest:

20240120_131409.thumb.jpg.3efa10cb553f33ca09dca35d2dad1ddb.jpg

I quite like the fakt, that one can change the with to use. You need to open some screws, and then you an adyust to a length as needet.

The gears are running smooth. Perhaps I will write a little bitt more, when I have used to actual serve something. 

This is the basic modell, but, If needet, you can buy the motor and other add-ons seperate.

Hi Theodosius,

Sorry I missed your earlier post. I have had one of these machines for a few years and find that it works very well. The end pieces look to have been upgraded to something more substantial since my version. The only problem that I have found is that eventually the handles snap if you  are tying off and tensioning the rope to them. I have repaired mine by gluing some spare brass sheet to them with epoxy.

David

David

Previous Builds

HM Cutter Hunter Mamoli 1:74

Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

Current Build

HM Cutter Trial 1790 Vanguard Models 1:64

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48