Norwegian Sailing Pram by Dcox - Model Shipways - 1:12

Any tips on smoothing out the hard angles along the garboard and second plank along the port side?  Starboard side faired well and has a pleasing curve from stem to stern.  These were caused from the planking jig and I didn't notice until I took the hull off and started to sand.  I did prebend all the planks and they fit without force prior to glueing so I really don't know why this happened.

image.jpeg

20240131_162649.jpg

Edited by Dcox
Trying to put a space between photos

Honestly, it's not very noticeable. Remember that we modelers are the only ones who will ever look at our models from really up close. A lot of what we consider to be glaring mistakes doesn't particularly stand out at stand-off viewing distances.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Moved along a little ways and made some changes that deviated me away from the plans. But for me I think they are much more pleasing to the eye.

First one and the biggest change was how the second plank had to be notched at the stern transom step.image.thumb.jpeg.24f28b1c8195c8adff454e61605e309e.jpeg

So here I did some major changes so the sheer plank would run even with the transom step. I had to reshape the second plank for the change.

image.thumb.jpeg.64a2307a76feee015577bbcd9be5b3d3.jpeg

Next, I didn't like the way either the bow or stern transom was above the inwales (top of sheer plank), There may be a real reason this is the case but I am taking artistic liberty on this and made the following changes.

image.thumb.jpeg.255f4140dcbba90893213079db9b1517.jpeg

and

image.thumb.jpeg.c60db272f13a3344523cf8ef4b18c5dd.jpeg

Once I get the hull finished, I will be painting it after some filler, few coats of sanding sealer then primer to give a smooth finish.  I'm sure I'll need to adjust the rudder length for my changes but that is no big deal.

Edited by Dcox

Even though I am going to be painting the hull I thought I'd take the time to check on a couple of things. 1st was to see how the basswood took a stain and check on grain scale which I knew wasn't going to work and 2nd was to see how bad my glue up was. I'm fairly competent when glueing up full size furniture and other items but I need a whole lot of practice at this scale.

20240203_080602.jpg