Flag halliard

Go to solution Solved by Dr PR,

This flag halliard diagram isn’t right. It’s way too close to the boom.

Could someone help me with how it’s supposed to be? 

I have no idea if it’s supposed to be connected to the main boom or not.

I couldn’t find any diagrams on this.

this is the incorrect setup from my instructions:

IMG_3719.thumb.jpeg.9eed83e182b0221bf253d9bea85f0b48.jpeg

• Solution

It would help if wee had a clue what type of vessel it is.

However, if rigged as shown in the picture the halliard would interfere with motion of the boom.

I have seen the flag halliard rigged to run through a small "jewel" block on the end of the gaff, with both ends of the halliard belayed to cleats on the boom. This way the halliard follows the motion of the boom and gaff without interfering with swinging the boom outboard.

The instruction re the house flag is also incorrect. House flags in these ships were usually flown from the peak of the foremast on a halliard either gigged to a small sheave embedded in the mast or a small block lashed near the peak.

John

Thanks Phil and John.

Im just going to run the line from a block on the gaff down to two cleats on the boom.

I’ll probably leave the flag position for now John. I might change it at a later date though.

If you are sailing before the wind, the boom would have to swing out as much as the shrouds permit ... the gaff may be steadied by guys, but not all ships had them.

The flag-halliards seem to have been run in a somewhat haphazard fashion, whatever was deemed to be convenient at the time. Thus, I have seen many contemporary images, where the halliard is let down to a cleat or belaying pin at the aft bulwark. Another option is a cleat on the boom. In general, the halliard is somewhat inclined forward, so that the flag unfolds and it recognisable when there is no wind.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg