Lady Nelson by Danstream - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 scale

We are our own worse critic... It doesn't look like an abandoned Jurassic Park yet! Looks to me like you have a great start and once all the wood is fashioned and in place, you should be very pleased!  The Hull turned out well. The planking looks real tidy.                                                       My ship ran aground , hit a reef. Too vigorous a sanding , not realizing just how much I had taken off already! Fortunately, with patient repair and skill with finishing reason from RC aircraft, it's repaired and unless you know it happened, it will be covered with bottom paint. Non the less it bummed me out as I worked thru all the learning curves...I've got a pretty big note book by now!     Really Dan,  keep up the good work, as it's turning out well. Best Regards, Roger

2 hours ago, flyenrw said:

Fortunately, with patient repair and skill with finishing reason from RC aircraft, it's repaired and unless you know it happened, it will be covered with bottom paint.

I am sorry to hear about your accident. But, hey, when it will be covered by paint I am sure it will be good. I am also counting on the paint to hide my mistakes. The planking of the deck that I am doing now is a much more pleasing and relaxing job.

best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64Lady Nelson - Amati Victory 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Hi Dan, yeah , I look forward to starting my decking too,  for the completed look it adds.  The wooden pedestals I ordered from Cornwell Model Boats have already entered our country. That was real Quick over the pond! Great selection of products!   Another few days, I'll be able to work out the proper resting angle of the keel. Looking forward to simple pleasures!                                                     In the mean time. Florida cannot escape from a new Hurricane due here by mid week. I wished I was eating the spaghetti instead of being part of the models. We're in direct path of this beast right now! I'm hoping the sheer winds in the Gulf of Mexico,  near Florida will effect and chop off some of the high  150 + mph winds before it gets to landfall. I've experienced 70 mph winds a few times, but never double that....                                I think it would sink my boat!                        I've started to finish the hull wood in a Matt finish polycyclic. Used also as a base coat to get rid of the heavy wood texture often seen when paint is directly applied to bare wood.   It will provide a nice seal and smooth finish for all painted surfaces. I've applied four coats so far. Very light build up , 320 dry sand paper in between with a finish of 400 grit for painted surfaces. All the exposed wood looks nicely rich in color with it applied.   Also,  I'll use a light touch of white primer which will keep the white bottom paint  even in color without blotches. Being water based, I can paint it inside the house. Dries real fast.  No oder . Out side, with all the rain we have been having, humidity is running average 75 percent, ...absolutely impossible to spray any acrylics, lacquer or enamel paint. My base and pedestals will be painted with acrylic lacquer. Probably not for another couple of months when the intense humidity is gone. Take care , Roger

Posted (edited)

Hi Roger, your description of what is going to happen in Florida is really scary. I read similar notes from other members of the forum that live in the affected areas. I hope it will be less violent than expected. Keep me updated and I wish you best of luck for this though moment.

On a less serious topic, what you did on the hull of the model sounds good. I am going to apply a similar approach.

Take great care,

Dan

Edited by Danstream

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

I just finished planking the deck. To be more practical, I took some short cuts and simplified the application along the bulwarks. I will refine them later.

IMG_0322.thumb.jpg.a65bb308dec0e6dc84ca226e8539e548.jpg

I didn't think of sorting the strips by their color, when I realized that they had different colors and the deck looked as a patchwork it was too late to do anything, hence I went on like that.

IMG_0323.thumb.jpg.f6dd939154793c337e7fdc54e57a801c.jpg

IMG_0325.thumb.jpg.60931a720164635518a81dce02a044b9.jpg

I also sanded the deck with a fine grit. Next, I will seal the wood with a transparent varnish.

Best regards,

Dan

The deck looks very neat Dan, I see what you mean about the planking colours, but the majority of the paler stuff will be hidden by the cannons, which will distract greatly compared to the empty deck now. 👍

Andrew
Current builds:- HM Gun-brig Sparkler - Vanguard (1/64) 
HMAV Bounty - Caldercraft (1/64)

Completed (Kits):-

Vanguard Models (1/64) :HM Cutter Trial , Nisha - Brixham trawler

Caldercraft (1/64) :- HMS Orestes(Mars)HM Cutter Sherbourne

Paper Shipwright (1/250) :- TSS Earnslaw, Puffer Starlight

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

I see what you mean about the planking colours, but the majority of the paler stuff will be hidden by the cannons, which will distract greatly compared to the empty deck now

Thanks Andrew, that's surely an effect to be considered. I am thinking of spraying the deck with a very diluted acrylic grey, say a matt neutral grey, to be sprayed after I sealed the grain as a sort of transparent filter. Do you have any experience on something similar?

1 hour ago, Ronald-V said:

I like there is a bit of variety, but that's my personal taste

Thanks Ronald! I appreciate your positive approach. I will see how it looks after the varnish. See also my question in my comment above.

Best regards,

Dan

41 minutes ago, Danstream said:

. See also my question in my comment above.

Best regards,

Dan

I don't have experience with a spray. But I know people use washes in that way you describe. So applying a diluted grey or something like that and take the residu off with a cloth. Maybe start a new topic with that question...you will get more answers and even some examples maybe

Currently working on the HMS Sphinx from Vanguard Models

2 hours ago, Danstream said:

I am thinking of spraying the deck with a very diluted acrylic grey, say a matt neutral grey, to be sprayed after I sealed the grain as a sort of transparent filter. Do you have any experience on something similar?

I haven’t personally stained decks, usually I just put a few coats of Danish oil on mine. If you have some off-cuts of the contrasting planks you could try out your dilute greys before committing to model, but think it could be a solution. If you don’t go for it I still think it will be great once the “clutter” of guns and other fittings are added. 

Andrew
Current builds:- HM Gun-brig Sparkler - Vanguard (1/64) 
HMAV Bounty - Caldercraft (1/64)

Completed (Kits):-

Vanguard Models (1/64) :HM Cutter Trial , Nisha - Brixham trawler

Caldercraft (1/64) :- HMS Orestes(Mars)HM Cutter Sherbourne

Paper Shipwright (1/250) :- TSS Earnslaw, Puffer Starlight

Hi Dan, You've got my vote!

I feel it turned out great!

I seriously doubt that any shipwright building a work vessel would take the time to organize heavy decking lumber for matching colors!

Now yachts are a much different story!

Given the deck furniture, cannons and a sundry fittings , line etc.,  I am drawn to the natural order of things, and find it very appealing!

In fact as the above discussion covered,  the mention of washing the deck in a hue,  is something I have intended to do with my decking.

If it is of interest, Model railroading has many products to capture a realistic look, which seems , is the main theme of most model railroad layouts.

Weathering details are also very prevalent in most plastic model building.

I came across the product  pictured,  that quickly drew me in, as I was in search of a more natural washed look to my deck.

I found the product of all places,  on ETSY,  " DR. Bens "

The second picture is of a stick of clear limewood, quickly stirred into the wash. The last picture is a second coat on the same stick.

Keep in mind, Limewood is soft and porous.

Depending on the woods hardness, obviously  will determine the intensity of the color.

From my experience with paints and stains, in order to have a lighter suggestion of color with over the counter stains, one would need to reduce with adding a thinner.

Dr. Bens is a Water based stain, already thinned with the intensions of using it as a wash, to hint of color.

If to go the route of adding color to the deck, possibly you would like the effect of this product.

DSC02565.JPG

DSC02567.JPG

DSC02568.JPG

14 hours ago, flyenrw said:

I feel it turned out great!

I seriously doubt that any shipwright building a work vessel would take the time to organize heavy decking lumber for matching colors!

🙂 You are right, I will anyway not stain the deck and let it alone for a while. I am busy now with the wales which I am going to glue with CA because I don't want to use pins to keep them in place. Thanks also for the infos about the products for weathering.

Best regards,

Dan