I have a birthday coming up shortly and I have been asked what I would like for a present to celebrate such an event. I thought this would be a good time to add to my Library of books. I am looking at something second hand and have narrowed it down to 2 possibly 3. books. The first is 'The Master Shipwrights Secrets' by Richard Endsor. This is actually new for just over £50 the second hand one I can get for £38. I am also looking at  'Ships of the line'Vol 2' by Brian Lavery for £60 or the same book but vol 1 and 2 for £80

I now feel I have several books of worth in my collection by Lees, Lavery and Goodman and one or two AOTS books but do not have the afore mentioned titles . So my question is although perhaps these books are not a must have but rather nice to have, are they value for money. personally I am thinking of 'The Master Shipwrights secrets' by Richard Endsor as I have read several reviews including one by Chris Watton. However I am also wondering if it would be more cost effective to go for both volumes of ' Ships of the line, for £80

Thank you for any thoughts or reviews on the above books.Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

The answer, as so often, is that it depends what your interests are - time period, nationality, model building reference or historical reference? Merchant or Naval?

British navy floating walls of the 18/19th century - Lavery. Restoration Navy (also useful for merchant ships of the time period - 17th century) then Endsor.

I can speak to the quality of both options.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

37 minutes ago, trippwj said:

The answer, as so often, is that it depends what your interests are - time period, nationality, model building reference or historical reference? Merchant or Naval?

Exactly what I was going to write.  Well said.   I have two books by Endsor and for the 17th century they are fantastic.   For overall usefulness, at least for English ships you have the the three I would put up at the top of the list, Lees (Masting and Rigging), Lavery (Arming and Fitting) , and Goodwin (Construction and Fitting)  For scantlings-  Steel's Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture, The Shipbuilder's Repository (1788) and the Establishments although these can be very expensive. These have been put together all in one book available from Seawatch Books.   TFFM by David Antscherl offers a wealth of information on "how to" that is applicable in many ways to a host if ships, not just the Swan class around which it is centered.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Cheers guys for your early responses. Allan the three books  you have put at the top of your list I already have. At the moment I am working my way through the 18th century but sometimes get drawn into an earlier period.Perhaps I will take a look at the Seawatch books .  trippwj , I am pretty much interested in all the things you have mentioned , however building model ships is my main interest but definately getting pulled towards the history of sail ,especially some of the great battles and which ships were involved and what types were used. I am pretty much interested in anything to do with the age of sail. I have also found a local book shop which sells the magazines Model Shipwright and thinking of buying a number of these as I am finding these quite interesting too . Something whaich I asked about on a previous question I posted.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour