Hurricane Island Pulling Boat by em_fo - Laughing Whale - 1:24 - first build

Looks like a very cool model, I haven't heard of that one before. How did you find the kit, and what got you interested in building it?

• The title was changed to Hurricane Island Pulling Boat by em_fo - Laughing Whale - 1:24 - first build

Thanks everyone for jumping in and following along! After opening things up and getting sorted I know I'll need some advice as I go.... 

I grew up in a place with a history of wooden boat building and have always been a fan of them, never learned any hard skills about it though. Now I work for Outward Bound, who still uses these boats for their courses in Maine & The Florida Keys (https://www.hiobs.org/) and I think at the New Zealand school as well... I was looking for more info about the history of the OB boats online and stumbled upon this kit on ebay as well as this forum where I thought - I'd love to build that! 

Preliminary steps: 

- Made copies of the instructions and blueprints just to have back ups 

- organized planking and plank-like pieces by size, which was not as easy as I thought it'd be, but my dad had a helpful measuring tool for tiny thicknesses

Upcoming steps: 

- getting a piece of scrap wood for a building surface, setting up the mold and backbone

- tapering and shortening the inner kelson (from one of the  1/16" x 1/4") and cutting the outer kelson (from one of the 1/16"x1/8") to make up the backbone and fit into the stern timber/stem

- Planking... 

Images attached: 

- The planking instructions, haven't really started any of that yet

- The blue print with the kelson specifications 

- My piles of planking and plank-like materials organized by size; beginning to realize what I've just gotten myself into! :)

Any thoughts, ideas, advice, or resources welcome and appreciated (especially re: learning how to do planking)! 

IMG_6951.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

IMG_6950.jpg

Very cool! It looks like this model will be a bit of a challenge to plank because it's an open boat, so any errors will be visible inside and outside. On planking in general, this site has a lot of resources that you can look for, like Chuck Passaro's planking tutorial. You might also look for examples of small vessels that are similarly constructed around removeable molds, like the Midwest Maine Peapod kit (although that uses strips for planking and may not be the best example to follow). Looking forward to watching the build move forward!