San Martin by Pfälzer - OcCre - 1:90

Hello everyone,
As you can see, I have made very good progress with the planking of the hull.
This was partly due to the bad weather we had yesterday, but mainly to the excellent material. Firstly, the basswood strips are very well cut and secondly, despite their thickness of 2mm, they are extremely supple.
I didn't have to vaporize or use any bending tools. Top quality
It was a bit fiddly on the port side, which is why I decided to taper the battens by 1.5mm on the starboard side in the bow area.

Have a nice time

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Lady Nelson-Victory-Modelle 

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

I'm following along as I too am building the San Martin, but it's Dusek. I just started planking the hull. 

I like your approach for the doors. I only have a partial kit and need to make some.

Your ship looks great. Can't wait to see your progress.

Mikki

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Working on: Dusek's San Martin

Completed: Good ol' first ship build- Constructo's Albatross; Mamoli's HMS Bounty; Mamoli's Golden Hinde; Amati's Drakkar; Occre's Revenge; Artesania Latina's San Fran

On 9.8.2024 at 01:06, MikkiC said:

Ich mache mit, da ich auch die San Martin baue, aber es ist Dusek. Ich habe gerade angefangen, den Rumpf zu beplanken. 

Mir gefällt Ihr Ansatz für die Türen. Ich habe nur einen Teilbausatz und muss noch welche bauen.

Ihr Schiff sieht großartig aus. Ich kann es kaum erwarten, Ihre Fortschritte zu sehen.

Hello Mikki,
I had also considered the Dusek. But after I realized that I wanted to replace half of the material anyway, I went for the cheaper option.
The Dusek set is also a different scale and therefore more detailed.

I have already sanded the hull roughly. The planking went excellently, none of the strips had to be pre-bent in any way. The oak strips that I have planned for the second layer can also be attached without any problems as far as I have been able to test them dry.

Since some difficult layers had to be attached with the help of clamps and had to dry first, I took a look at the gun mounts for the guns.
You can imagine that I don't really like this plywood variant either.
So I thought about making the parts myself from all the oak material from the carpenter, but then decided to build them from small strips.
Due to small changes in the construction plan, my hull will be thicker than planned, which is why I need wider strips for the end.
So I also ordered some very fine oak strips, because you can't treat yourself to anything else.
I will probably have to wait for these now as I had the idea of planking the transom with strips of different widths to create a nice pattern.
Today I'm off to Luxenburg to smuggle tobacco and coffee.

Take care and have a nice Sunday

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

I picked up a partial kit. It only has keel, bulkheads, 2 partial sheets of parts, and the plans. I pretty much have to build everything. It's missing all of the strip wood, about 4 sheets of laser cut parts, and most of the brass etched parts. 

I like the look if the oak on the deck. I haven't used oak in any ships yet.

Mikki

Completed: Good ol' first ship build- Constructo's Albatross; Mamoli's HMS Bounty; Mamoli's Golden Hinde; Amati's Drakkar; Occre's Revenge; Artesania Latina's San Fran

Nice work, :cheers:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Looking good!

Mikki

I'm curious about the two different sizes. Any reason why or just because you like the look? 

What is working with oak on this scale like? I only know it in bigger projects like flooring and bookcases.

Mikki

The written version of the photos.
As you can see, I've finished the transom so far. No big deal, everything is straight. I just wanted to take the boredom out of it a little with the thinner strips. I could have done without the upright center plank, the keel goes over it.
Then to the matter of the oak and its willingness to cooperate.
It really leaves a lot to be desired. In the raw state, the strips can be bent and turned so that it is a pleasure to work with them. Only the sanding is a little exciting. Remember, each strip is sanded by hand before assembly, don't use a Dremel. A little too much tension when you let it slide through the sandpaper and it splinters like something else.
If it is then stained or even glued to the model, the whole thing becomes a stress test. It hardens incredibly so that cutting with a scalpel is almost impossible. Sanding against the grain becomes a game of poker. Here, too, the good oak splinters faster than you can say Babb. I've been working on the gun ports since yesterday evening. Only possible with a very fine key file, patience and a lot of love.
That's why, unlike the interior planking, I won't be staining the hull until all the moldings are in place. Everything is only glued with Ponal under pressure, I don't use superglue under the wood.

Have a nice Sunday

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Posted (edited)

Yes planking is tedious. I don't use any powertools when I work on a ship. Maybe in the future I will, but for now I like the tactile closeness with the wood.

Looking good!!!!

Edited by MikkiC
Typo

Mikki

've been working a bit on the gun mounts over the last few days, and once again I don't like the kit part.
So I took 1x2mm oak and glued several strips together and gave it the first coat of stain. I also stained the tail section for the first time. I wanted to see if I had worked cleanly enough to avoid glue stains before I started planking the hull in this way.
I will also have to start thinking about where exactly I will add the first strip. The building plan calls for starting at the so-called master plank, which sits very low towards the keel. I tend to proceed from top to bottom.
The plan also calls for the keel to be fitted after the second planking, which I haven't done yet. I have my doubts, especially with the oak, which is quite prone to splintering when sanded.
So far I've done well with fitting after the first planking.

Greetings

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Upps, im Kit sind nicht genug Räder. Also müssen diese Teile warten, bis Occre den Rest schickt.

So, jetzt fange ich mit der zweiten Beplankung an.

Ich glaube, das ist die Stelle, an der ich anfangen kann.

Was denkst du, ist es richtig oder zu gerade?

17243802061485910274711632118544.jpg

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Hello lovelies,
As you can see, the “every skirting board is ready before installation” thing is quite a tedious business. Each of these strips takes about an hour and a lot of love before it reaches its destination.
And I can still be happy that these strips can be bent quite well without watering or steaming, despite the oak.
Originally, if the material had been unruly, I had planned to make a second fuselage to bend the strips correctly.
The upshot of this is that if the Palatine has such strange ideas again, send me the men with the straitjacket and have me committed.
Greetings from the corner of the world where people are strange

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Looking good

Mikki

Hello friends of well-kept wood.
Since I'm still in the experimental phase, I'm going about this build a little differently. On the last two ships I installed the keel before the planking. Here I thought I would test the Occre variant.
It doesn't work too badly, just installed dry.
Let's see, maybe I'll even use the plywood version from the kit instead of an oak replica.
Greetings

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985