Swift 1805 by jarero - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Virginia Pilot Boat - First Build

Jared,

If you want cherry veneer please let me know and I'll bring it to the next meeting.

I've got a few pictures of my Swift in the gallery. I'll try to post some pictures with the cabin tops off.

Your model is looking really good! I like the shape of your cap rail at the bow and the stern quarter. Very smooth.

No, the view new content tab still doesn't work after clearing the cache and history. I'm going to try it on my iPod to see if I get the same error.

Thanks,

Harvey

Here are a bunch of random pictures of me working on the masts and erecting them. Not much I can say about this part other than I think it was my weakest area of the build. On a positive note I learned a ton.

100_0279-L.jpg

100_0287-L.jpg

100_0281-L.jpg

100_0288-L.jpg

100_0291-L.jpg

100_0295-L.jpg

100_0297-L.jpg

100_0299-L.jpg

-------------------------------
In Progress Build:

Robert E. Lee by Scientific a.k.a "The Bob"

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

You are going quick…..

But neat and great job!

Only one question….

At your signature you are saying that you all ready finished the Swift?

I missed some pictures then.

And you are working at the Robert E Lee?

Where is the log?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

You are going quick…..

But neat and great job!

Only one question….

At your signature you are saying that you all ready finished the Swift?

I missed some pictures then.

And you are working at the Robert E Lee?

Where is the log?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks Sjors.

I finished with the Swift nearly three weeks ago so I am just catching up the log now and I will get another one started on the Robert E Lee when I have enough progress to make an update.

..and then there were Masts!

Nice work, all that small detail is what I am not looking forward too (if I can get passed planking. Nice improv on the cabin door hinges. She's looking almost ready to furl sails and tack off into the breeze.

It always seemed that once I got in a groove with one of the steps (like planking the hull) and started to get the hand of it it was time to start work on a whole new part of the ship and then the learning curve was reset again. To worry about the details though, with the work you are doing so far yours will turn out awesome.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Thank you, but awesome requires finishing. Which I will do, I'm just slow, I guess that's part of being an analytical chemist. I typically spend more time thinking about how, then in the actual process of doing. But for me that a big part of the fun. I love the problem solving that ship building forces us to tackle.

I know what your saying though, as I started planking I feared all the typical newbie worrries, but now I find it relaxing. My back finally let up last night and I got one plank glued and 2 more formed. Those 2 I left to dry clampped down so today I hope to make up for lost time.

When I was reading through all of the Swift build logs on MSW 1 I noticed that the biggest issue was that people got to the end of the build and didn't post many pictures of rigging. It seems that the ship went from no masts to fully rigged in half a dozen pictures. So did I do a better job of documenting it? Nope. Despite my good intentions now that I am reviewing my pictures I took I realized that I am also guilty of minimal documentation of these final steps. Hopefully no one makes me walk the plank. :10_1_10:

100_0323-L.jpg

100_0324-L.jpg

100_0326-L.jpg

100_0330-L.jpg

100_0332-L.jpg

100_0335-L.jpg

100_0336-L.jpg

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

just curious, did any of the mounting hardware come with the newer kit, like the name plate or did you have that made.

Also its kind of hard to take too many pictures of the Swift rigging as there is so little, That's one of the reasons I picked her for my 1st (no ratlines)

Great Job, cant wait to see her finished.

Thanks for the photos, MSW logs have replaced AL's instructions, although the blueprints are helpful at times.

just curious, did any of the mounting hardware come with the newer kit, like the name plate or did you have that made.

Also its kind of hard to take too many pictures of the Swift rigging as there is so little, That's one of the reasons I picked her for my 1st (no ratlines)

Great Job, cant wait to see her finished.

Thanks for the photos, MSW logs have replaced AL's instructions, although the blueprints are helpful at times.

The name plate was included but all the other mounting hardware and base were furnished by me. The color photos even show a base that used to be included in the kit at one time and no longer are.

Oh and as far as the Queen, I think it looks more like tired then disappoval. Either that or indifference, but then Queens are often that way.

I believe she just woke up for that photo opp so it is likely tired with a side order of cranky!

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Very nice! We should bring our Swifts to next month's meeting and compare notes.

Oh, I tried the "view new content" on the iPod. Same response as the laptop (no new content found). My guess is it's either a problem on the site or a problem with my account. But it's a minor gripe.

Thanks,

Harvey

Ive noticed recently at times the reply editor on MSW has been acting abit squirrelly. For instance all options (smiley's, font....) are greyed out and not functioning. Although it seems to be working again :piratetongueor4:

You all are lucky to have a local modeling club, thats what I get for living in the middle of no where. :huh:

Congrats Jarero, where's the champagne for the christening?

I really love the completementary wood in this kit and how it all works together beautifully.

Oh does the new kit come with the sails? the older one didnt and I'm wondering what type of clothe to use, I saw someone state pillow cases worked well and was thin enough. Plus I've already scheduled sewing machine time with mom.

Wonderful build, thanks for sharing.

Keith,

I've heard old linen handkerchiefs work well for making sails. Model Expo used to sell something called "Balloon Cloth" that was supposed to be thin enough, although I haven't seen it.

Your in the boonies? C'mon, Carbondale isn't that far away :P

Harvey

Maybe not far away, but definitely in the boonies.

Most anything south of I-64 is. I'm actually in a small town 15 miles from Carbondale. Since C'dale has SIU the internet routed me through there for faster DSL. C'dales only about 14-17k population and it's the largest town in miles, although marion is growing.

It's beautiful country down here though. Right where the Ice Age stopped, so we have lots of push up and very interesting terrain. Being a navy brat I lived all up and down the east coast (VA, CT, SC, MS) and I like Southern IL. Mississippi was a great place to be a kid though.

So who's gonna swing the bottle, The Queen? So is this the HMS Swift? So whats Nona's sisters name?

chihuahua's are funny dogs. A friend has one and Rueben our 80 lb basset mix dwarfs poncho, but Poncho doesnt get size. He thinks he's the biggest dog in the room. You should post a picture of your quartet.

Maybe not far away, but definitely in the boonies.

Most anything south of I-64 is. I'm actually in a small town 15 miles from Carbondale. Since C'dale has SIU the internet routed me through there for faster DSL. C'dales only about 14-17k population and it's the largest town in miles, although marion is growing.

It's beautiful country down here though. Right where the Ice Age stopped, so we have lots of push up and very interesting terrain. Being a navy brat I lived all up and down the east coast (VA, CT, SC, MS) and I like Southern IL. Mississippi was a great place to be a kid though.

So who's gonna swing the bottle, The Queen? So is this the HMS Swift? So whats Nona's sisters name?

chihuahua's are funny dogs. A friend has one and Rueben our 80 lb basset mix dwarfs poncho, but Poncho doesnt get size. He thinks he's the biggest dog in the room. You should post a picture of your quartet.

I might skip the bottle this time since I would get in trouble and have to clean the carpets afterward.

The queens name is Holly. She is almost 4lbs and is in charge of the pack. The other three all sleep curled up together and she sleep on top of the pile spread out. If one of them makes an unauthorized movement she growls and bites them.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

wel done Jarero . a beautiful model :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Thanks to all for the congratulations! I might have been able to finish without this site but I know it made it easier, I learned more, the ship turned out better than it would have otherwise and it helped with the motivation to finish instead of giving up when it wasn't going my way.

Thanks again to all.

In Progress Build:

Completed Build:

Swift 1805 by AL

-Jared

Nice job on the completed model!

Your admiral is right! All of our admirals should spend most of the day complimenting and encouraging us, hahahaha!

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted on kit build log.

Current: Sultana (MSW) Updating the build log and continuing on with the build

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Edited by hopeful