HMS Victory by Glenn-UK - Caldercraft - 1/72

Okay. I'm over here now on your site. Your build looks neat and very tidy from here but I expected that.  By the way, thanls for visiting my Half Moon site.

Best,

Jerry

I looking for a different type of help. Every year I undertake the Blue Coats Quiz. There are a 100 questions and I have three clues left so any help greatly appreciated.

The quiz always has a theme and this years theme will include names, nicknames of real or fictional people, creatures, organisations, objects, places and events, the title and subtitles of literary and artistic works, songs films and radio/ TV programs, phrases, sayings and quotations. Each answer work include a Borough, district, street, railway station, famous buildings, geographic features and landmarks which all lie within the boundary of Greater London.

For example: Number Two For The Kinks in 1967 (8,6) = Waterloo Sunset (Waterloo is a London Station)

Obama's Workplace (4,6) = Oval Office (Oval is a well known sporting venue)

The 3 questions I'm looking for answers are

Dinner Patron (6,10)

Throw This If You 4 Or More (4,6)

One Of The Fathers Of The Baby (3,7)

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to solve the 3 clues (Heston Blumenthal, High Fulham & Tom Kilburn)

Work has stalled on boat building.

The damaged parts in the kit should arrive later this week from JoTika so I can complete the poop deck ladder assemblies.

Materials to enable to  complete the painting of the stern are in the post from CMB so should arrive tomorrow.

I could start rigging the cannons, but for some reason I have been putting that task off.

Can anyone suggest a good tip to stop paint bleeding. I use Tamiya masking tape but when I remove the tape it seems to have bled under the tape. I always paint away from the tape edge. I had had bled problems either removing the tape as paint is drying or after paint had dried. I think the answer lies in how the tape is removed, i.e. lift away or toward the painted tape edge.

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.

No matter how many hundeds of times I have used masking tape from time to time, not always, there was some bleeding.  I use the same type tape (Tamiya)  you use on the models and have found my best success occurs when I remove the tape back over itself and toward the painted edge.  Most of the time the bleeding has been minor and I have been able to cover it using a brush by hand.  I  have heard that some people actually seal the tape with varnish but i think that can be very tricky.  I hope you receive your parts soon so you can get on with your beautiful Victory.  Best,

Jerry

Hi Glenn,

I also use Tamiya masking tape, I find that if I run the back of my fingernail firmly along the edge of the tape after applying it there is no problem with bleeding, it just needs to be firmly pressed down to seal properly. I also remove the tape in the manner that Jerry described, it is in fact recommended practice for using any masking tape. Have a look at my build log you will see the edges are quite clean, not perfect but pretty good. I have not needed to do touch-ups.

I have nearly finished planking the Quarterdeck, so am a bit behind you.

Hope this helps

Gary

Material arrived from CMB (paint and brushes) so I was able to continue with work on stern.

Still waiting for replacement parts from Jotika to complete poop to quarter deck ladder assembly.

Current Status of Build

post-7550-0-53541700-1420838004_thumb.jpg

Stern windows added and painted yellow, other main features have also been painted and dry fitted to panel to show full effect.

post-7550-0-18510400-1420838032_thumb.jpg

Close up of some of the stern features.

post-7550-0-72461700-1420838073_thumb.jpg

Added some taping before I started to add the black surround.

post-7550-0-15380100-1420838149_thumb.jpg

Primer added to other brass stern fitting prior to painting yellow

post-7550-0-51321000-1420838175_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Looks like you're on your way again.  By the way, I know it may be too late but I found it best to set the stern windows in from the back of the stern piece.  Have a nice evening Glen.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

It was good to get back to work.

The stern windows were inserted from the back, may not be that clear from the photos.

I took my time with the stern centre piece using a detailed high quality image from the HMS Victory as my painting guide and I'm very pleased with the end result.

Glenn (UK)

Looks like you're on your way again.  OK Glenn, get those black strips in and enhance your stern.  Everything looks well done.  Have a nice weekend.

Jerry

Hello Jerry & David

Many thanks for you kind comments, I agree there is a lot of hull work ahead.

I want to finish the poop deck but still waiting for new ladder sides from Jotika as the ones supplied in kit were damaged.

Not sure if I'll watch MOTD tonight but will be watching ManU tomorrow and have tickets for the two home games in February.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

I've started reading a book about the Battle of Trafalgar. I did find it quite amusing that from the sighting of the French & Spanish Combined fleet leaving the harbour it took over 4 hours for Nelson's ships to close the relatively short distance before they could engage in battle due to the light winds; the comment in the book was the ships were moving slower than a swimmer in the water.

It was also very interesting to read how many of the fittings & animals were throw overboard prior to the battle, when they were clearing the decks ready for action.

I finally fitted the stern panel to the hull tonight, even with the clamps its made a big difference to the hull. Slight bit of touch up required on the painting front.

post-7550-0-72651500-1421179076_thumb.jpg

Also I have prepared the stern galleries and their fittings ready for the next stage, even though there is still a bit more work to complete on stern panel before I can move on.

post-7550-0-21819700-1421179221_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-65960600-1421179251_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Read "The Trafalgar Companion" by Mark Adkin. It covers everything you wanted to know about the battle. It is an amazing book.

Mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hello Mort

Thanks for that, it does look a very good book!. I'm currently reading Roy Adkins book Trafalgar: A Biography of a Battle which tells the story using eye witness accounts. It is difficult to comprehend just how bad conditions must have been during such a close force battle with the noise, destruction and loss of life. One account told of dead gun crews been thrown out of a gun ports to keep the gun deck clear.

Glenn (UK)

Finally completed the Stern Fascia panel. It turned out to be quite a tricky task, and I'm not totally happy with end result (the capping and outer yellow surround could be much better) but its not too bad. I did remove and refit the outer yellow surround to try to get a better fit, without too much luck.

You can't tell from the picture but the stern crest did split in two and it took some work to make good.

As can seen from the pictures I will need to touch up some of the black paint. Picture quality not great. I have shown two almost identical pictures, I added the second on as it shows the light reflecting back off one of the stern windows.

post-7550-0-73153800-1421488585_thumb.jpgpost-7550-0-45406300-1421488614_thumb.jpgpost-7550-0-73233200-1421488652_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Good morning, Glenn.

The work you just completed looks fine.  As you said, nobody can tell that you had problems because the final result shows no defects.  I hate to say this but there will be more mishaps as you progress; it's the nature of the game.  Don't be discouraged because from the looks of your work you will end up with a beautiful trophy and wonder what you may want to do next.  Have a great weekend and march on.

Best,

Jerry

Hello David,

Looks look a bad accident, thankfully your finish ship didn't seem to show the scars of battle. In the book I'm reading it does state the internal wood fittings below the waterline were rotting due to the time it took to build these great ships and the lack of using any preventative measure to guard water; there was no methods available except for tarring and copper plating

Glenn (UK)

I've been thinking about the build, and if I were to start over again I would certainly tackle some of the construction tasks in a different order, the quarter galleries build being once such item.

I'm not overly impressed with what I have achieved so far with the quarter galleries but to the untrained eye it may look passable.

These two picture demonstrate what I mean. The first one shows the application of wood filler to fill a gap, the second shows the finished result. Having looked at the after photo, a bit more touch up required on the painting front.

I expect to complete the work on the quarter galleries by the end of the week, all being well as I only have to finish fitting the brass profiles.

I'm also working on the poop / quarterdeck ladder assemblies and will hope to complete also be the end of the week.

post-7550-0-56262000-1421741325_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-97072000-1421741334_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Good morning, Glenn.

I think you are a little to hard on yourself.  From what I see your work looks excellent.  But being the way you are (hard on yourself) will probably produce a ship model that will be beautiful.  Your pace is quick but to me, it hasn't effected your work.  You know what needs to be done and you're getting there.  Be careful with the ladders as they fracture easily.  I had to order a new sheet of ladder parts and that held me up for about two weeks.  I'll be happy to see what you do next.  Very nice work, Glenn.

Best,

Jerry

Hi Jerry

I know I'm hard on myself, but I also know I can do so much better.

I always have been and always will be a bish bash bosh builder.

There are two sets of ladder sides in the kit, as I found out last week, speaking with JoTika.

Using my special ladder jig, the first poop ladder has already been assembled.

The second ladder will be glued tonight

Glenn (UK)

Glenn.  Mmmmm....A special ladder jig??  I'd like to know more about that.  I just put the pieces together and squared everything up.  I guess you have a jig that holds everything in place.  Interestting.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

More work on the quarter galleries tonight. Starboard side completed. Port side only requires the lower two brass profiles to be fitted and black inserts between windows. Will be glad when this task is complete.

When fitting the quarter gallery profiles I did fit the stern brass profiles (held with tape) to try to get them correctly positioned. The joints has been mitred in readiness and I have plenty of filler available to hide any bad joints.

Work also progressing well on the two poop deck ladder assemblies. Ladders have been assemblied. assemblied. Steps and planking fitted to the ladder platform.

post-7550-0-38048800-1421786109_thumb.jpgpost-7550-0-37970000-1421786145_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Good morning ship mates, brief status update.

Poop ladder assembly progressing very well, one complete, the second one just requires the wooden rail adding.

post-7550-0-88332000-1422000038_thumb.jpg

I was pondering (again) the lower two brass profiles fitted to quater galleries and stern. Initially I was working with a mitred joint, but had a concern with ensuring everything would line up. I then thought I might be able to make one piece with 90 degree bends. Following some discussion and advice provided by Jerry (Thanks again Jerry) I moved back toward fitting three pieces with 90 degree bends on the quater gallery sections. I think this is the way I will go, the pictures below show the trial fitting.

(post-7550-0-62842600-1422000078_thumb.jpgpost-7550-0-51010100-1422000090_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.

Nice job on the ladder assembly.  This is one area I constantly had a very tough time with throughout the build.  I kept breaking the wire (outboard) rail when handling the model.  You haven't installed that yet.  Just a note to warn you that this part takes a lot of abuse. Have a great day.

Best,

Jerry

Poop ladder assembly has now been completed. I have dry fitted in place to show the effect.

Once the rigging of the quarterdeck cannons is complete will I glue the poop deck ladder assemblies in place.

post-7550-0-23314000-1422196734_thumb.jpg

The breach rope rigging of the quarterdeck cannon has now been completed and I'm now working on the other cannon rigging.

post-7550-0-72342400-1422196788_thumb.jpg

Managed to damage the main compainionway ladder assembly (again) whilst fiiting the breach rope eyelets.

post-7550-0-94247600-1422196810_thumb.jpg

With the first rigging assembly I did include an integral rope coil, but I think I will simply add preformed coils as this seems to be much easier to manufacture and the coils can be positioned to look like part of the actual  rigging without distracting from the build.

I used a simple method to make the rope coils, based on advise provided by Jerry and Shipyard Sid, and with reference to Gil's rope coild method.

I coated the thread with a dulute PVA solution and then wrapped it around a plastic tube, using weights to keep the lines straight. After waiting for approx 5 minutes I removed the coil from the tube and put to one side to dry. Drying time should be 24 to 48 hours whilst I continue with making the rigging block assemblies.

post-7550-0-21434400-1422196843_thumb.jpgpost-7550-0-13238000-1422196862_thumb.jpg

I  made a little jig so I can preset the width between the rigging blocks before final installation.

post-7550-0-74800800-1422196882_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)