HMC Sherbourne 1763 by Hollander-jan - Caldercraft - 1/64

Finnaly I can start my build log of the Sherbourne. The kit arrived today and I was overwelmed by what I found in the box. But after a while calmed down. It can be done if I take each step as a project. I will find out to place pictures and will do so during the proces. I hope to make a contribution to the site and the Sherbourne community of builders that writes such wonderfull stuff.

Hope to learn a awfull lot of it. next time pictures.

Jan

Great to see this log started, Jan! Welcome to the Sherbourne fleet!

I'll be following this log with great interest.

Tony

Hello thank you all for this warm welcome.  I am a little bit reluctant to start. Have the bulkheads dry fitted and looking for a way to start putting the thing together. Its a bit my character to wait a while before I start. Do not want to make mistakes in this beginning phase. But today it will get underway.

Have to find out about my camera for nice pictures as well.

you will be hearing from me soon.

regards Jan 

Hello to all of you,

Before I tell you of the progress I made today I will first show you a little boat that started all off 

again. It is the boat in the picture below. I bought it some 5 years ago made the hull and left it on the 

shelf. It was to difficult I sought. But recently I finished it. It was such fun to do that it made me 

dicide to build a real boat, as a model of course. 

post-8079-0-31206700-1387491611_thumb.jp

This boat was from a German re-seller it is there beginners model. The reason it took so long was that I went ferry sick and had to reorganize my live after I went better. Now I am well again but not as strong as I was before more time to build a model boat. The boat is build up the way tony did his small boat for the Sherbourne. The end product is not wat I had in mind because the rigging and musch of the interior was not in the boats manual I had to think something up.

ok so far for history. I did well today the first picture is the kit as I recieved it all was there. next picture a dry fit actualy all is glued now and the deck is fitting wonderly well. No picture because I am in the proces of making pictures with my camera for this site. Have to experiment more with light better and more picture of how I progrss will come soon.

I send a mail to Jotika because I am missing a manual. Have 5 big drawings with numbers of parts but no manual.

It is fun to do this and I am working ferry clean it all looks ferry good till now. I am going to work on the stern the deck and the gun port thing

in the next days. Taking my time to do it all nice and clean.

Sorry but to late and tired for a picture of the state of things 

regards to all of you,    Jan, from the dutch Rotterdam dockyard
Edited by Hollander-jan

That's a lovely little boat you built.

As to the Sherbourne manual, if you want it in a hurry, I can post you a pdf file of the manual while you are waiting for the original. Let me know by Personal Message (PM) and I'll get it to you.

Tony

Cool little sail boat Jan.

Wish you the best with your Sherbourne build.

Eamonn

ps the New Year will see me with a Sherbourne Build Log too (was waiting for a missing piece to arrive, it did so last week! just a short wait for the slightly warmer weather now as my 'Ship Yard' is way too cold) :)

Have a great Christmas & New Year

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thank you Eamonn,

It took a few years to complete and it is not so well done but that little boat have brought me here and that is ferry nice. I am now building my Sherbourne wich give a lot af plesure in doing so. The research, the thinking of how to do it and so on and so on. And that is only the beginning meeting people discussing and having fun at a great hobby.

I wish you  a great Christmas & good New Year

By the way I love Ireland and Irish people have there three times and had the best off times in the north and the south as well.

Best wishes from Jan Rotterdam Holland

Hi Jan, I've been to The Netherlands myself on numerous occasions including Rotterdam, as part of my first career. In fact I joined my first ship in Vlissingen (Flushing) as a young Deck Cadet, arrived off the airplane in Amsterdam and excitedly went to the train station to get a ticket to 'Flushing', man behind the counter smiled and said 'Vlissingen', I said 'No.. Flushing'.. he replied 'Yes. Vlissingen' (this went on for a short time until he told me that Flushing was Vlissingen) we both ended up laughing :) :)

Bye for Now,

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

another day at the dutch dockyard,

Did not do to much although the deck is glued and the gunports are in the water for the second time will fit and let them dry overnight. We will see tomorrow how they will fit. The stern is given me a bit of not understanding have to look at other builds how it is made and if I have to sand off a bit of deck.  

Edited by Hollander-jan

Hi Jan,

Nice to see a neighbour  :D  :D

Cute little ship that you've got there.

And what are the measurement of the Sherbourne ?

I will see this coming to an end so I crab a seat and will follow you further on.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Saterday

This is so much more difficult than i thought. I have made my first big mistake. I glued the gun bulk-ward the wrong way. and second had some good problems getting the other one on the ship. All is glued and drying now but there have to be more patience and more careful planing than til now. I think all is to over com but besides i thought that I was careful it went wrong. I show you in the course of the day when I can take a picture.

sorry for my grammar in English 

I am happy I did not panic! Try to solve the problem and think it can live with it. :angry:  :o  :(

Don't worry, Jan, everyone has the same experience -- no matter how careful we think we are being.

There's a saying many on the forum use which is something like 'measure twice, measure again, cut once' which indicates that the problem exists. But, as you have found out, working with wood and glues that we can dissolve means that we can develop patience to do it more carefully next time.

Tony

Hello 

Here are some pictures of today and how the boat is coming together plus my mistake with the bulwark strip the starboard on is the other way around.

post-8079-0-46124800-1387715109_thumb.jpg

And he was to far in the prow so when the starboard one was ready  I discovered it. Problems begin ti rise when the strip would fit what soever..

post-8079-0-34074100-1387715246_thumb.jpg

As you can see the stern need some fixing the rest is ok I think.

Have to do some before planking can begin in no hurry

Jan

Edited by Hollander-jan

Hi Jan,

I can see that your bulwark are wrong.....

I don't know what kind of glue you are using but try to loose it with water.

When you leave it this way, your gun ports are to high and you've got problems with placing the cannons.

Try to fix it.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

If you have used aliphatic wood glue, you just need to use isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) which you can find easily at any pharmacy, or even on eBay in large quantities (I bought 500ml because I use it so much -- which tells you how often I have to unglue parts). Use a brush to keep soaking the area where it's glued and you'll find it comes away easily after 5-10 minutes.

Tony

Hello Tony and Sjors,

I thought that it can befixed by altering them downwards after the planking inside and outside removing them is not an option for me, I know it mebe sound stupid but  that's the way I am. It is not that your advise in not good but I will not follow it up and think of an alternative way to solve the gun problem. Thanks any way. I hope you will not hate me for being so stubborn  :mellow:

I have more dificulty's with the planking have to look up how the bow is done and the curve he makes.  

I hope you can give me some advise on that one  :(

Don't worry about ignoring advice or suggestions -- we all have different perspectives. As to the planking, look up the excellent tutorials under 'Framing and Planking' in the 'Articles/Downloads' section. You'll see them at http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php. Antscherl's article is the one to go for first, perhaps.

Tony

I did my first planking and what a job is that. It good that there will be another planking before the final result. This is much much more difficult than I ever thought. There are now 6 planks on the port side. Next after Xmas is the starboard side. Just now there is X-mas the family dinner the papers and wine and food.

I wish you all  a merry Christma and a happey and healty 2014

By for now from the Rotterdam Dockyard

Jan 

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Because of the situation with the gun ports en the deck I decided to make a gun carriage just to see how of things are. Making a gun carriage for the Serbourne is practicing big hands on small things. Finally there was a carriage with a gun on it.

post-8079-0-62782000-1387892789_thumb.jpg

post-8079-0-55513500-1387892837_thumb.jpg

I will make another one for practice reason and to see if I can make that one better than the first one. Placing the gun on the deck showed that all is well be it a bit cramp but it is to do. We will see  when the time comes.  

Thats al for now   

Edited by Hollander-jan

Hi Jan,

Being stubborn and being from Rotterdam, isn't that telling us the same thing twice ? :)

I know it's not fun to break things down you put hard work into, but in this case, I would reconsider removing and redoing the bulwarks. gettnig your gunports in the wrong place is going to give ris to all kins of problems later on (things not fitting, or being in the wrong place althogether...)

You could even go to a shop downtown to get you some replacement wood (Westewagenstraat. They are more into trains, but they used to have some plywood and other basic materials).

Jan

Yep, that's the one.

I still regret the closing of the one  two streets away (oude binnenweg, Van Nieuwenhuizen)

Jan

PS Before you start complaining over my opinion on people from Rotterdam: My whole family is from Roterdam (that is to say: Zuid)

Edited by amateur

I am sorry guys, but I will not take it down. I maybe in trouble with the rigging ore all kinds of other things but there will be solutions for these problems.

In my opinion it is a bit like live itself. I can turn back time by the use of some chemical and start all over again. I will not do that it is against my nature to solve things by turning back the time, I will have to live by my mistake and try to make the best of it. By the way sailing a ship is most of the time solving problems forthcoming out of mistakes ore mishaps. Building a ship is more ore less the same if it a real ship or a model.

Jan

Edited by Hollander-jan