HMS Prince - 1670

pirozzi

The HMS Prince was built by Phineas Pett the Younger and launched in 1670. He is the son of Phineas Pett the Elder who built the Sovereign of the Seas. Anyway, I just learned that the Prince, sometimes called the Royal Prince, Was rebuilt in 1692 and renamed the Royal William.

Does anyone know if there is a kit made by any company, or where to get a set of plans for building this ship?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vince P.

Constructo makes a kit, it is a nice kit but somewhat simplified.

Amati used to make a kit but it has since stopped making it. However they still sells the plans and produce a castings set of brass. It is 1:64 scale.

Mamoli also have a kit of the HMS Prince but it is a smaller scale.

Edited by demonborger

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Constructo makes a kit, it is a nice kit but somewhat simplified.

Amati used to make a kit but it has since stopped making it. However they still sells the plans and produce a castings set of brass. It is 1:64 scale.

Mamoli also have a kit of the HMS Prince but it is a smaller scale.

Thanks Demonborger, I will check it out.

Vince P.

• 2 weeks later...

Aeropiccola used to make a rather nice HMS Prince kit. You sometimes see one come up on eBay. The Mamoli kit is very similar in size (I think the stated scales are 1/140 and 1/144). Aeropiccola used a kind of wood casting, whereas Mamoli uses metal. I have both kits, and prefer the Aeropiccola castings. Euro Model makes a monstrous Royal William kit. I mean really big. It is on my build list, though I might need one of my boys to go off to college first. That way I can take over his room to display the finished model!

Edited by aferox

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am currently building the Prince by Constructo. Have a look at my log.http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/772-hms-prince-by-spiderpig-constructo-scale-161-1670/

Current build : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6891-us-brig-syren-by-spiderpig-model-shipways-scale-164-1803/#entry202979

Mare Nostrum

Past builds : Artesania Latina Virginia 1819, Occre Corsair Bridgantine, Constructo HMS Prince

Hi

I am currently building the Prince by Constructo. Have a look at my log.http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/772-hms-prince-by-spiderpig-constructo-scale-161-1670/

Thanks Spiderbug,

I did not know this kit existed. Is it still available? Who did you buy it from?

I will follow your build log, as I am intetested in this ship.

Thanks,

Vince P.

There is a lines plan at the national maritime museum. It is not a plan of the ship. It is the lines taken off of the famous Science Museum model. It is listed but not shown on the website as # ANN0035. Not much detail but it's a starting poit if you want to attempt your own reconstruction

Edited by michaelpsutton2

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

Vince. I bought mine from Hobbystores in London.

http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default.asp?WPG=HOB_HomePage1&PageNumber=4&s=c:0,c:045,b:Constructo

Good price and delivered to Australia where I live.

Adam

Current build : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/6891-us-brig-syren-by-spiderpig-model-shipways-scale-164-1803/#entry202979

Mare Nostrum

Past builds : Artesania Latina Virginia 1819, Occre Corsair Bridgantine, Constructo HMS Prince

Vince, you and I think alike.

H.M.S Prince was rebuilt into the Royal William. I was thiking of scaling up the RW plans from 1-72 to 1-64 and then using the bulkhead templates to build Prince. The 1-64 metal cating set is available from Amati along with the plans. Its a pity Amati stopped producing this kit. It would make a nice showpiece along side Royal William.

I agree Brian. Somehow, I am going to build her to display along side the Royal William.

Vince P.

I agree Brian. Somehow, I am going to build her to display along side the Royal William.

Vince P.

Hi Brian,

I went on the website in Europe and looked at the Constructo kit for the Prince. While it is somewhat simplistic, it is nice and in a large scale like the Amati kit was. I think this kit would make a great basis to build her, and using the available photos and information, I could build her up to a very realistic model. The kit is not available here, but you can order it from the company in UK and have it shipped here.

Vince P.

• 5 years later...