how many blocks for rigging of carriage gun?

I am trying to figure out the diagram for rigging the carriage guns for my MS Fair American, and estimate how many single and double blocks I will need to order.  The directions say 5 dozen single blocks and 3 dozen double blocks.  But for the 14 cannon, the numbers do not compute.  From the diagram, it appears that the outhaul tackle requires one single and one double block on each side of the gun carriage.  The inhaul tackle shows one single block attached to the rear of the carriage, and I assume one double block secured to the deck.  That adds up to three single blocks and three double blocks per gun, or 42 single and 42 double blocks for all of the 14 guns. (3x14=42).  But those numbers do not square with the directions. 

Does anyone have a good diagram for rigging a gun carriage, or do you see a math error here?  Thanks in advance for any help you may provide. 

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Gary:

It sounds like they sent you extra blocks. That is not really uncommon. Your math is correct.

You need four blocks for each gun on the side tackles and then two blocks for each gun on the rear tackles. You can use singles all around or the mix of doubles and singles you describe. It could be done either way.

If you are ordering replacement blocks, go with your numbers, but I would add a few extra of each type in case of unexplained losses. I would use nothing larger than 1/8" at 1/48 scale.

Russ

Gary, if you have to order the blocks be sure to keep in mind that most blocks really look terrible as they come from the suppliers of kits.

I used the blocks that way on my USS Constitution and later replaced all of the rigging with blocks I bought separately from Warner Woods West in Utah. Here is the difference:

post-246-0-54414300-1396274858_thumb.jpg      post-246-0-38432600-1396274873_thumb.jpg

Ignore the hook in the second picture. It was also replaced.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

For me it depended on the gun set. For my Constitution it depended on the gun set, the 24 pound carronades had 2 sets of blocks and tackle on each side along with the breeching line. The 24 pound bow chasers had one set each side, the breeching line, and a block and tackle set from the rear of the carriage to the deck behind.

Since none of this was part o the original kit, it required additional blocks and lines as well as installing rings on the cannon and carriages. I followed the diagrams in AOS for the Constitution. FYI, You can't go wrong ordering blocks and lines from Syren Ship Model CO. Chuck's work is amazing.

Bill

post-10450-0-04161000-1396275656_thumb.jpg

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Hi,

I am following your build and loving it! There's some good information on the Model Expo site. The model US Brig Syren has wonderful documentation (by Chuck Passaro). Under Documentation for the model Syren, Chapter 11 has some great info on cannons and blocks.

Wally

Russ, Modeler12, Bill, and Wally - thank you all for your helpful suggestions and information.  The rigging for the tackles and the breech lines are optional with the MS Fair American kit, and the blocks etc need to be purchased separately.  The instructions suggest 3/32" size for both single and double blocks.  Russ, thank you for confirming my math, and pointing out the need for additional blocks just in case...   I can't recall how many tiny blocks have slipped from my fingers never to be found again.  Modeler 12, you have convinced me not to use some larger blocks that I already have on hand.  Bill, I like your suggestion to get the blocks from Syren Ship Model Co. And Wally, thanks for pointing me to the Syren Chapter 11.  Good information!  And I promise to update my build log SOON.  The ship has been "in irons" too long.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

FYI, I am still in a big learning curve on these as well but one thing I found helped me was getting beading mats to work over. I put one on the bench where I am working and one on the floor underneath. The matt keeps things from bouncing and rolling. I bought them off Amazon they were pretty cheap.

Also, don't forget to get the correct thread size for whatever blocks you get. I forgot and had to order some from Chuck since I did not have anything that would work in the small blocks.

Bill

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Gary:

The 3/32" blocks are a good idea. That would be 4 1/2" in scale. This is one of those situations where a little smaller is better given the tight space and the need for an accurate scale effect.

Russ

While we are on this topic, let me pose a related question:  Most gun carriages I have seen have 1 ring bolt and 2 eyebolts on each side.  This includes real gun carriage on replica ships and even (I think I recall) CONSTITUTION.  The ring bolt is used for the breech rope and one eyebolt is used for the outhaul tackle.  What is the other eyebolt used for?  I have never seen it 'occupied'.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck, at least on the Constitution, the second eyebolt was used for the second set of tackles. One was for the barrel as it slides on the carriage frame and the second was to pull the carriage back and forth (or even somewhat sideways for aiming).

post-246-0-29953800-1396559542_thumb.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Hmmm.  Interesting.  I can see that with the carronade, since (IIRC) the wheels swivel).  I am not sure if that is possible with the clunky trucks on a standard gun.  I guess with the right leverage, inhaul and 'side haul' you could adjust the angle. :pirate41: 

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)