HMS BOUNTY by Capt.Fisher - Artesania Latina - 1:48

She looks great, Capn! I remember when my boat was at the same stage, the feeling of relief that I had finished planking AND she still looked decent was palpable. Congratulations, that's probably the most intimidating part of the build over. Hopefully the rest will be smooth sailing.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

That's a good job done well. I guess you will be fighting with the rubbing strakes next ?

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi Al,

Thanks for yr kind words 

Are you satisfied that on your open side where your planks do not end on (and get glued to) a frame, that they are sufficiently stout (thick)  that there will be no play in them -- at least not enough to snap them?  I've been considering where to end mine and this is my primary concern. 

I find the open side strong enough, as I used nails for real nailing, not fake one. You should make sure to end the planks on a frame or very near to it, so that you avoid vibrations of the lose part of it.

It looks like you used a few wedge shaped planks here and there.  But I don't see any drop planks or stealers.  Is that true?  The wedges look fine; super fine for that matter.  All in all, a very nice planking job. 

I do not have a single wedge shaped plank, I paid too much efforts to that (still wonder if this was reasonable enough). If you zoom some of the pics you can see drop planks and stealers. If you fail to see them I can post you better pics.

========

Current build  -  HMS Bounty - 1:48 - Artesania Latina

Previous build    Golden Star - 1:150 - Mantua (not finished)

Beautiful work Capt. Frank....also love the background setting of those last pics. Living on water has been a longtime dream....I envy you greatly. Looking forward to future progress postings.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hey there Captain.  I was looking over your planking again as I move along on mine (I'm about 40% done) and was wondering why you planked so much of the starboard side?  On mine, the kit calls for only 9 walnut planks on starboard side down low, and none up top.  Didn't you run out of walnut planks?  Was this the reason you ran out?  Don't get me wrong, it looks great.  I was just considering how much wood I have and how much more planking I had to go on each side and so I looked at your's and it seems like much more than the amount of wood I have on hand.

Yes Al, you are right - my starboard side is planked more than suggested on the AL pictures. Many reasons for that:

1. I saw a pic in a russian forum and I liked how it looked

2. I read a theory, saying that the more difference in planking both sides, the more danger of 'propeller effect', So i thought more planks on starboard side would diminish the risk

3. By additional planking I tryed to hide those compartments, which would be not equipped with furniture, i.e. doors, barrels, sacks etc. They look empty and ugly to me, besides seeing the inside part of the portside is also not a good view

4. I thought (and even I think I read somewhere) that there should be enough planks in the kit to fully cover BOTH sides, for those who are not willing to fiddle with interior design... I WAS WRONG! 

Yes, you are right - thats was why I ran out of planks. I guess A.L. has cheap owners - they save every tiny piece of material they can!

So, my advice - try to plan your needed material in advance in order not to get in my situation. And also please remember that tlans are always wrong :-) so give a good 20-25 % of allowance... :-)

Good luck, and eager to see some recent pics

Edited by mtaylor
changed reference to AL owners to make less offensive

========

Current build  -  HMS Bounty - 1:48 - Artesania Latina

Previous build    Golden Star - 1:150 - Mantua (not finished)

• 1 year later...