HMS BOUNTY by Capt.Fisher - Artesania Latina - 1:48

Well, my case is that I covered a little bit more of the opening than recommended, thus making the inside "cleaning" much more of an issue..
OK, soon I shall know, by my own experience

========

Current build  -  HMS Bounty - 1:48 - Artesania Latina

Previous build    Golden Star - 1:150 - Mantua (not finished)

I did all of the varnishing of my inside adornments and lower decks before putting a cover on them. In fact, I varnished the cabin and holding well and little box before I even glued them in. I've since then done a modest amount of sanding on the frame tips and other areas, and I've been able to huff and puff and blow the dust away. But I have been thinking of the same thing: what to do with all the major dust to come. Since I'm already varnished it does blow away pretty well. So if I can't humanly do it, I will probably either reverse my shop vac and stand a few feet away, or get one of those aerosol cans that high tech people use to clean computers. The long term dust question was raised somewhere on msw and asked how to keep normal household dust from getting to all the deck stuff and into the rigging. The answer was a huge Plexiglas box, but who has the room for that?

Well, all planks are in place. I don't know if this is good news or bad news, but that is it.

As a whole I am not quite pleased with what I have achieved. I could have done much better. 

As Mike expressed it very well earlier - "I know folk like to see the bad news as well as the good ...", so I upload pictures for everyone to criticise, or,eventually like.

A couple of pics how she looks like from all angles.

Remind you guys, this is BEFORE any sanding! so do not be cruel  :) 

Starboard side

post-6850-0-11109100-1397721887_thumb.jpg

Port side

post-6850-0-42282200-1397721942_thumb.jpg

Bow

post-6850-0-66498600-1397721979_thumb.jpg

Stern

post-6850-0-29440100-1397722049_thumb.jpg

And, by the way

The planks were really NOT enough! 
Here is how I decided to solve the problem - I skipped every second plank at the bottomsige of the starboard side. 

As a result I have only 1 plank left!! (and I swear I did not waste any piece of plank bigger than 1 inch!!). I will keep it, just in case I need some repairs after sanding

post-6850-0-43523000-1397722382_thumb.jpg

========

I think your planking looks really good I only hope I can do half as well. Your fix for the lack of wood I think looks great. It's very clever and doesn't look out of place with the open side of the hull.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Ahoy Capt. Fisher,

Good work!  It looks a fright but so does most construction before finishing.  I will probably look at your pictures a hundred times when I get to my planking.  If I ever get to my planking.

From my own selfish perspective, I focused on one particular picture because it confuses me regarding stairways (I should start calling them companionways now that I have my copy of Mackay Anatomy).  On my build log weeks ago we discussed if there are 4 or 5 companionway stairs in total.  I couldn't locate the 5th, but there was material enough to build five.  Well I finally found where the fifth will go and spent a whole day repairing the broken stairs (that I thought before I wouldn't have to worry about cause it wasn't needed) and figuring out how to place and secure it (more on this on my build probably tonight).  Now I look at your hull, from the open starboard side and I see that either you don't have that last companionway stairs, or you've planked up from the keel high enough so that it is not visible.  The stairs I refer to go from the hold platform down into the hold or bilge, and begin just to the right of where the companionway stairs from the lower deck terminate on the hold platform.  So which is it?  Did your A.L. kit not include that stairway?  Or is it in place, just not visible?  I hate to think I've gone through the repair and install process only to cover it up behind planking.

Ahoy Capt. F.,

Did you purposely disregard the instructions to "leave a 6mm opening" for the stem at the bow end of the keel? Where the starboard and port planking come together? Maybe I'm seeing your photos wrong or reading the instructions wrong, but I understood it to mean there would be like a 2mm (the thickness of the planking) groove for the stem to nestle into.

Have you worked back up to the waterways, Samson posts, timbers etc. that attach to the edge of the deck? I'm not there yet but I have been looking at pictures and instructions and cannot figure out what piece goes where and how these posts stay in place. My last reading of it makes me inclined to think the posts glue up to the sides of whatever the pieces are called and are installed after. I originally thought the posts were there to support that piece and had to therefore be put in beforehand. But that meant there is nothing to support them.

Are you as confused as me as to how many of these cutouts and posts there are supposed to be? The number of cutouts on the deck does not jive with the number of posts (including all 3 kinds) shown in the parts list. Parts list shows too many. I'd appreciate if you could touch on this when you get there, which will be well before I do.

Hi Al,

Yes, i disregarded the instruction a litle bit. I thought it will be easier to form an even streight opening by cutting it afterwards, rather than forming it with the ends of the planks. God knows if i'm right or wrong... The plan is to cut abt 5 mm opening and then sand it upto 6 mm, until the stema nd the keel fit tight inside. But I'll do this after the final shaping of the hull.

I did a bit of sanding this weekend, and believe me - it's a sweaty and dusty job ;-). I have my portside almost ready. I got so obsessed, that I forgot to take pictures of the different stages - rough sanding, putty, fine sanding, nailing, finest sanding... etc.

I'll try not  to forget it with the starboard side.

Regarding the Samson posts, waterways and all that 'timberware'ob the main deck - no, I still have not given them any serious consideration. Not yet. I stoll have a lot of sanding to do :-)

========

I understand what you've done at the bow.  Makes sense if you feel you can cut a straighter line.  I have more luck cutting the planks down to a very close tolerance before I put them on, and then leaving only the final sanding to make it perfect (like I've ever achieved perfection).  And I'm just referring to the process I've used in planking up to a hatch or companionway cutout on a false deck.  It may be very different trying to get the curved plank of a hull to end squarely with its mates.  Thanks for your response.  Keep on sanding my friend.  I have finally finished my basic interior work (stairs, rails) and have glued down the main deck beams.  Today I hope to get the lid put on.  I'll post something later on.

...  It may be very different trying to get the curved plank of a hull to end squarely with its mates...

Exactly thats what I mean! Planking at 90deg with 1 mm lime is quite different from planking at different angles with bended 2 mm walnut. 

========

Yeah I have that one too. It does seem like the most practical. If your hand is really steady you might try a router bit. I have one that is exactly 5 mm and you might come down from top to bottom in one swoop. Either tool, be careful. I wonder if you might be able to rig up a "fence" from top to bottom which would prevent you from sawing into the good part of the planking. I know from experience that those coffee stirrer sticks that they use in Starbucks (do you have Starbucks in Bulgaria?) are very pliable -- a little soaking and they will bend nicely to the shape of the hull. You could pin one on (they are pretty long to start, about 8 inches) each side of the 5mm groove you want to cut. Just a suggestion for a goof preventer -- if its possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Capt.F. Looking great so far. I'm glad I am not the only one who takes advantage of the thickness of planks allowing for sanding and not worry about the slight clinker effect :P It's comforting.

Can I ask...how short was the supply of planking? I am going to be getting this kit later this year and want to know what I am letting myself in for...and whether I should think about ordering replacement wood at the same time as the kit itself?

------------------------------------

Regards,

Dominic

Current Build: HMAV Bounty by Caldercraft 1:64

Hi Ace,

Regarding shortage - in the state that you see my portside hull I finished with 1 whole plank remaining unused. Please note that I skipped every other plank here and there... But please also note that I covered a little bit more of the hull than advised in the instruction, fore and aft I mean.

So, if I followed exactly the instruction there might bejust enough planks.Might be!

And this is in case that I didnt waste any material at all! I even used some 1-2 inch pcs where I could. 

Hope that AL did not do the same with the rest of the materials. I mean they give us absolutely no chance for a mistake, and we do know well we are not perfect  :) .

========

Thanks Capt.F

I agree with you most of these kits allow very little or no margin for error...they expect everyone to be able to build as perfect as their modellers do.

Although have to say...in their Santa Maria kit that I am building now, the studio model that was used to provide the photo's for the colour guide...well who ever was building it did a p**s poor job on the first planking! Makes me feel much better :P

------------------------------------

Regards,

Dominic

Current Build: HMAV Bounty by Caldercraft 1:64

That's funny cause so far on my AL Bounty the one thing about the kit that I've been completely satisfied with is the amount of material provided.  Of course I haven't actually done the planking of the hull, but I have counted every piece in the kit and compared it to the instructions and there seems to be plenty.  If I didn't waste any and used it as instructed, I would theoretically have 5 left overs.  We'll see how that turns out in reality.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering where you've been Capt Fisher. As for me, I've been plugging along slowly but surely on fairing the frames of my twisted Bounty. I've also done some filling in the bow and transom in preparation for planking. I'll put up some pictures and describe my work shortly. But I haven't been getting much response from anyone lately so I've kind of given up on my build log. I think I've read just about every relevant article and post on MSW, but I check it out daily just cause there is so much good stuff and always something new. Hope you get back to building and posting.

Hi Capt!! I haven't done a lot either. I did start my second planking which was awful so I covered it with a third go!! I have been trying to bend rubbing strakes before proceeding with the second planking below them.

Been away a couple of times but the garden grows fast this time of year and loads of other jobs to do so the boat takes a back seat for the time being.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Been away a couple of times but the garden grows fast this time of year and loads of other jobs to do so the boat takes a back seat for the time being.

Mike, you and I seem to have the same lives :-)

Absolutely the same here - away a couple of times, grass growing faster than me mowing,...garden furniture falling apart and in strong need for fixing...

A total blackout for modeling.

But we are not in a hurry, are we?

========

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

Is everybody dead already or is it true that The world is football...?

Believe it or not, but this is amazing:

There is a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF MODEL SHIPS SECTION “C” going on at the moment and guess where - in my small country, some 200 miles away from here!!

http://www.naviga.org/index.php/en/download/category/1-termine-a-ausschreibungen?download=100:world-shampionship-of-model-ships-section

As you can well presume I am having a short working day today and straight off to the exibition.

230 models from 15 countries. Not bad, uh??

I promisse to have a great time and take a lot of pics!

And hope there will be at least one Bounty there  :)

Cheers

Capt.Fisher

========

I can't stand football and have been getting on with my boat!! Look forward to seeing your pics though.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I'm with Mike.  Football is about as exciting as sanding a hull -- so I'd rather be doing the latter.  I should tell you though Capt. that I'm still plugging along and making progress (your photos are very helpful).  I've been going very slowly; trying to avoid planking but the time is fast approaching.  I will probably begin planking after this Holiday weekend (Independence Day for we Yanks -- sorry about that Mike, but the ole empire couldn't last forever and I think Scotland should be independent as well).

I think I am enjoying the dialogue between friends here as much as the build log. You guys are a riot....as frustrating as it can be, I'm guessing you will not make this your last build. Keep having fun supporting each other.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...

Well, its been quite a long time...

Summer can be distracting... so many other things to do.

Here are some pics on my slight progress. Nailing is quite anoying and timetaking, especially when you run out of nails from time to time.

post-6850-0-00669100-1408808384_thumb.jpg

post-6850-0-17540400-1408808386_thumb.jpg

post-6850-0-68727400-1408808387_thumb.jpg

post-6850-0-49651100-1408808389_thumb.jpg

post-6850-0-08644100-1408808391_thumb.jpg

post-6850-0-62163800-1408808392_thumb.jpg

========

Well it sure is nice to hear from you and glad you are still at it.  I am very impressed with your planking.  It looks fantastic.  I am now into that phase of my Bounty so I know first hand now what a challenge it can be.  Are you satisfied that on your open side where your planks do not end on (and get glued to) a frame, that they are sufficiently stout (thick)  that there will be no play in them -- at least not enough to snap them?  I've been considering where to end mine and this is my primary concern.  It looks like you used a few wedge shaped planks here and there.  But I don't see any drop planks or stealers.  Is that true?  The wedges look fine; super fine for that matter.  All in all, a very nice planking job.