Admiralty Style Frames-What about showing different parts as done with plank cauking lines?

I will be starting an Admiralty Style ship build in 1/48 scale.

My question is,if the wood used in building up of the seperate frames does not show much contrast,is it acceptable to lightly use the same method as used in showing caulking between planks on the deck,to show where the different parting lines are in the makeup of the frames?

In just looking at photos in books and online of Admiralty Style models I do not see where the frames have been made of parts,but they look like they are just one solid piece of wood.

Is it that that detail does not show up in the photos?

With all of the work that will go into the seperate frames,I would like to be able to show others just how many parts go into the building of a real ship,and the frames that make them up.

Is it a tradition to just depend on the color of the wood and the glue seam itself to show off the differences in parts?

Or is it kosher to just do what looks good to the builder?

If it comes out like I want it to,and if I were to enter it in a ship contest,would highlighting the parts that go into the frames be a very negative thing to have done?

Are there any examples that you could direct me to to show the differnt types-ones that have highlighted the seams,and ones that show only the wood diferences.

Looking forward to your advice and opinions.

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith

I think its well worth your while getting a copy of the following book - Building a miniature Navy Board Model by Philip Read ISBN 978-1-84832-186-1 by Seaforth Publishing. I bought the book a few months back and its an outstanding step by step build in pictures with supporting text.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Hi Keith

I have never seen the frame joints highlighted on modern or contemporary models.Many original Admiralty models didn't have built up frames like the original ship,just as many didn't have detailed interiors.There are a lot of original construction details omitted from many of these models.The main aim was to convince the Admiralty they wanted your design.Accurate representation of the hull construction was unnecessary as this would follow the stardard practice of the time.This was also the case with masting and rigging which is why the models were presented unmasted Many of the pics you see now of these models have had masting and rigging added at a later date,which was done at the request of the private owner of the model.

To 'highlight' these joints,off course is entirely a personal choice.If you were to enter into a competition I feel your model may be marked down as a result,but of course you are at the mercy of the judges on the day so who knows.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Keith

I have a second book which I believe is out of print now  - its Navy Board Ship Models 1650 -1750 by John Franklin published by Conway in 1989, its more of a reference book than a construction guide but nevertheless it is a wealth of knowledge relating to period models. I obtained my copy second hand at the Telford Exhibition a few years back.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Hi Norman

Found one in California and ordered it. I'm in Oregon so it will be here in a couple of days. Thanks for the recomendations. I'll let you know how I am doing on my search for material and my build.

Thanks

Keith

Here are a couple of early photos my my admiralty frame of the Bellona, following ideas in Franklin's book. You can see that I did not highlight the joints between frames. But in the lower hull, which is all that will show after planking the upper hull, the different directions of the wood grain in the separate pieces naturally highlights the parts. Look particularly at the stern and stem deadwood. It is a very pleasing natural contrast.

Best wishes,

Mark

post-477-0-33304500-1400111944_thumb.jpg

post-477-0-84213600-1400111946_thumb.jpg