Deadeyes

Difficult to achieve that perfectly aligned row of deadeyes that way. I feel sheepish saying this though since from here I can glance across at my H.M.S. Victory where no two dedeyes are on the same horizontal line! I debated faking the job by doing as you suggest with the shrouds then gluing the other ends just above the bolsters on the trestle trees and faking up the shroud gang above them. I don't think this would be "illegal" but it would CERTAINLY be looked upon as a cheat of one degree or another. On the other hand, I often say that in Art, if nowhere else, the ends justify the means.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Can be done, but the challenge is the shroud is where the lanyard gets tied.

Getting the tension right by adjusting the shroud would be the big challenge, but not insurmountable.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

"tis indeed a challenge.  There have been some discussions in the past which point out that the "perfect" alignment was likely less common than portrayed - it is a lot easier to paint them in a row than as they may have actually been on the ship.  The Captain, Bosssun and sailing master would make adjustments to improve the trim, adjust the rake, or accommodate damage from storms, so the deadeyes would likely form a near- straight line as opposed to an actual straight line.

I have seen some folks do an amazing job reeving the deadeyes off the hull - would need to do some real digging to show you the examples, but they are there.  I guess one part of the equation is historical accuracy - for accurate termination of the lanyards, they are tucked through and around the shroud.  If you can terminate the lanyard with, perhaps, a dollop of glue at the top of the deadeye, then you can install the shroud, get the right tension and the tie off the lanyard around the shroud.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

It's the area where the real skills of one's  patience is found out. 

If it's just looks you want-whatever way you can do it.

But it is a right of passage of model ship building and rigging. The combined talents  needed to ge all the deadeyes  level is the goal of every builder. And once it is accomplished is like learning to ride a bike. Once done it is easyer every time.

And if its a three masted ship,by the time you have the last set of deadeyes completed,you can now go back to the first and see how you have improved in each preceeding shroud. And if you can not stand it,it's time to redue the ones that bug you. The human eye can see diferences that are very small when things are side by side.

Just think how skilled the riggers of full size ships are to get their deadeyes level. Then you realize that size doesn't realy matter-to get perfection is always a challange to the skills that you have.

Keith

Hi,

In proper alignment of deadeyes a simple jig is very helpful .Jigs for keep proper distance between deadeyes (3-5 dia.)
Various sizes depending of deadeye dia.

Tadeusz

My models:

From kits

Vasa, HMS Victory, Le Solei Royale, Friesland

From scratch

HMS Warrior 1860, Esplanade, Grosse Yacht

Norman’s ship, HMS Speedy, La Royale

Peter von Danzig

Polacca XVII cent.

Current project:

SS Savannah 1818

post-8878-0-06412700-1400421444_thumb.jpg

post-8878-0-25066100-1400421456_thumb.jpg

post-8878-0-62309200-1400421832_thumb.jpg

I'll second the use of jigs. Set the lower deadeyes,seize up each pair of shrouds at the masthead, place the upper deadeye in the jig, seize off the shroud at the proper tension while in the jig. Then remove the jig and reeve the lanyard. With small adjustments in tension you can get good alignment. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren