Scotland by sygreen - Corel - Scale 1:64 - First wooden build

Finished the planking of the deck and it looks pretty good . Pics to follow. I now have to sand or file the edges of the deck planks so it is flush with the deck

Problem I'm having is that I am getting fraying of the edges.

What do I do to avoid the fraying??

What do you mean by frayed? I dampen the deck planks with water and rubbing alcohol and trim them with a scalpel.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Make sure you sand along the grain of the planks. If you try to do it across the edge you will splinter them.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

However my mistakes are showing up

1. I marked where the masts go but I should have made the openings as I I assembled the planks. Now I am worried about slintering when I drill the holes. What is the best way.to do this?

2. As you can see I splintered the edges in several place. How do I fix this?

post-11098-0-51682600-1408818450_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-54398400-1408818471_thumb.jpg

Oh no, the deck isn't painted. Varnished yes. Real shame about the splintering because you have done a good job so far. Don't worry though, by the time you have put the rest of the deck structure and bits and pieces on it really won't show much.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Just a thought, keep it coming with the pictures. Sometimes it is easier to spot a mistake before it happens and we only want to help.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

You are very welcome. It's nice to anticipate a problem before it happens and having had my fair share with the same boat which was my first go I know how easy it can be to get disheartened. You are doing just fine!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

sygreen, you build looks good.  For the planks, take a pencil to the top side if the desk plank you will have facing up, this will help define the division of planks and look like deck caulking.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

For the planks, take a pencil to the top side if the desk plank you will have facing up, this will help define the division of planks and look like deck caulking.

Not sure what you mean by the "top side of the desk plank facing up" - confused 

Great idea foxy,

I guess I will do that on my next build as it is too late on this one. Nice to learn the technique .  That is the great part of this site, is that I am constantly  learning new and better ways to do things !

Sygreen, it should be fine. Only problem I had is the pencil lead smudging because if my fingers.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Maybe. But I will pose a question, if you varnish the deck before placing the deck components and housing, make sure you know what kind of glue you'll need to fasten these over the varnished deck.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Here is a picture of my deck outlined

I had a hard time keeping the lines straight. I guess it does look like it was done by hand , similar to how it was done originally

I hope it does not look too bad. Again inexperience shows

post-11098-0-32996000-1409270921_thumb.jpg

Now comes the hard part. The first layer of planking. I am a bit confused by the instructions.

Let me know if I have it right.

First I put #27 flush with the deck starting at the bow. I will need to curve the 1x6 plank prior to gluing.  I plan on using an electric plank bender. How long do I soak the plank in water prior to starting. Should I make vertical slits in the plank to prevent breaking?? What is the best way to secure it to the deck while the glue is drying?

Then I should line the inside of #27 with the same deck material that I used on the deck(#28)  but only from the quarterdeck to the start of the bow. Correct?

Then I get really confused. I then mount a piece of planking (#29) on top of #27 from the stern to ??? How far does it go?

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am back !!

Had spinal fusion surgery and have been recovering. No time for my model. However, doing well now and it's time to restart this project.

I am just starting the planking.

Questions:

What is the best way to hold piece #27 in place while I glue it. Anyone have an idea or picture

What is a good article review to help me with hull planking for the first time before I begin??

Good to be back but I could use some help

Welcome back, what is piece 27? Also, there are planking tutorials on the site, do a search. They are pretty good.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I just looked it up. For #27 just bend it with water, let it dry in the shape you need, and then wrap it parallel with the front piece, not the middle deck. The side will go about 3mm above the sides to make a railing. Make sense?

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

This is looking good. WOW Casey Minnesota North Stars. Now theres a blast from the past. ha hah 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.