Scotland by sygreen - Corel - Scale 1:64 - First wooden build

It looks good, I haven't glued mine on yet because I'm out of town. Could you please take a picture directly from above. Do your bulkheads extend beyond the deck in that view? When trying the deck on before gluing I noticed that some of mine do a little I'm not sure of we are supposed to adjust them so that they are completely flush with the deck but I think we are. I think it would be difficult tho given their flowing shape. Maybe someone else has input on this?

Edited by harbm

Sygreen, looks good! My only advice is the front bulkhead might have to be lowered so the bow is pointing up. The only reason I mention this is because it might make the planking tough at the front. Also, the bow section may have trouble laying flat.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hey also glad you found piece 17!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Thanks Casey,

The piece was staring me in the face and I didn't realize I had it.

Appreciate your critique on the decking:

"front bulkhead might have to be lowered so the bow is pointing up." how do I do that ? can't picture it

"the bow section may have trouble laying flat." not sure I know what you mean

Just friendly advice, ill have to,take some pics to explain. My terminology is very general.

The front of the deck has a flat half circle like piece that you have to deck plank. If that section is curved upward slightly it may not sit flat. Its Part 19.

As for my bad ipad spelling, I meant that 'the bow is not pointing up'. It can still work but may make the top hull plank harder to lay parallel with the deck. You'll get it once you check out step 17 with piece 27.

Hope that helps

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Really pleased someone is ahead of me so I can follow behind! Getting ready to go on holiday Friday (blissful week in Corfu; just me, self catering and a pile of books, sea a few feet away, pool, food and sleep!!) so not much done here Looking forward to progress on my return :)

sygreen and fishface, where are you guys from?

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I'm from montreal too. Go habs go! Yes, please post a picture from the top view please. I'm not sure how to file them down and still retain the same same complicated shape. I'll post a pic of mine in the next coming days. I've messed up one of the bulk heads trying to file it down, but Corel is sending me a new one :)

Edited by harbm

You want a little bit of "hips" at the top, check out pictures of ships from those days. The middle ones should stick out about 1-2mm.

Also, I'm a lifetime Minnesota North Stars fan. The Wild are ok but it just ain't the same!

Edited by cdogg

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Yes, I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow, actually I looked the manual, step 21. It's looks bad from above but it will look like that from front/rear.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

I am not sure of the stern. Do I file down the #9 bulkhead to match the curved stern? I am also not sure of the angle to file the sides of the stern

I also made a mistake and cracked the curved piece. I glued it back together . I hope it doesn't hurt the final shape. I think I will be planking back there, correct?

post-11098-0-96012100-1407003959_thumb.jpg

post-11098-0-22773200-1407004002_thumb.jpg

If you are talking about the fairing then yes, I think you have quite a bit to do yet. Re your curved piece you will plank up to and over the sides and cover it with strips at the rear.

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

You want the bulkheads faired quite abit. Go easy on them as not to take too much off.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Just go gently and keep posting your pictures. Don't forget you can take a little more off each time but it's much harder to put it back!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Hi all,

I have finished with the bow and quarter deck section. I think it came out well.  The stern seems to have work as well. Small problem but I will show that in the pictures.

Pics to follow

I think I am ready to start planking the deck.

What do you think is the best length of plank and 2,3,4 or 5 step planking ???

Looks great! I used the 2 method on the deck planking, maybe the 3 would be cool? I just went by the book since it was first time deck planking.

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Yes, I did the same as Casey. You are right, those little bits at the stern were really fiddly!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I think I used 90mm. Take the plans and draw both on paper, use the one that looks best!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift