The anchor that came with my kit, Model Shipways ‘Phantom’, has what appears to be a bar or pipe attached to it.  See picture with arrow pointing to bar.  I tried to find out what it was by googling ‘anchor’ but had no luck.  Not knowing what it is or what it’s called sort of limited my search ability.  I also searched this forum with no luck either.  In a roundabout way of asking, I would like to know what it’s called, if it has a name, and what its purpose is.  Thanks

post-11922-0-49011900-1406219604_thumb.jpg

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Sal:

Check the drawing below.  I believe the piece you are referring to is the stock with the keep pin removed and the stock moved to the left in the photo with the stock them dropping into place alongside the shank of the anchor with the ball at the bent end of the stock keeping the stock from passing through the eye of the shank.

5576-004-0B666D37.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Jud,

If you look close at the picture you can see that it's part of the anchor and not leftover from the casting.  It runs the full length of the anchor.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

I agree with Kurt. It is the stock as shown in the picture. It needs to be lifted up and slid across to form the anchor.

Edited by MEDDO

Sal,

I believe Kurt is correct. From what I can see in the photograph, this would actually appear to be the 'stock' for this type of anchor, ie. a smaller or kedge type. The stock is also iron, and roughly as long as the anchor is. It passes through the top of the anchor 'shank', being held by a swelling at the end, and is thus hinged, so that it can be closed along the anchor shank for stowage. When in use, the stock is pushed up through the head of the anchor, until it comes up against a swelling in the middle of it, and is then normally fixed in place by a pin or forelock. The stock is then at its mid point on the anchor, with the arms on each side being equidistant.

The stock is set at right angles to the 'flukes' (the bits that dig in) and it's job is to turn the anchor over on the sea bed, so that this will happen. Larger ships had fixed stocks, which for those of Victory's period were wooden.

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Kester,

Thanks for all the information.  It makes sense now.  Sometimes I'm a little slow but I usually catch on after a while.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

Complete 

More commonly referred to as a "Kedge Anchor" back in the day. Smaller vessels might use these for more common anchoring tasks... larger vessels would use these for light duty - usually to warp the ship around in harbors or shallow anchorages.  Also used to pull a ship thru narrow passages or rivers.