Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The anchor that came with my kit, Model Shipways ‘Phantom’, has what appears to be a bar or pipe attached to it.  See picture with arrow pointing to bar.  I tried to find out what it was by googling ‘anchor’ but had no luck.  Not knowing what it is or what it’s called sort of limited my search ability.  I also searched this forum with no luck either.  In a roundabout way of asking, I would like to know what it’s called, if it has a name, and what its purpose is.  Thanks



Link to comment
Share on other sites


Check the drawing below.  I believe the piece you are referring to is the stock with the keep pin removed and the stock moved to the left in the photo with the stock them dropping into place alongside the shank of the anchor with the ball at the bent end of the stock keeping the stock from passing through the eye of the shank.




Link to comment
Share on other sites



I believe Kurt is correct. From what I can see in the photograph, this would actually appear to be the 'stock' for this type of anchor, ie. a smaller or kedge type. The stock is also iron, and roughly as long as the anchor is. It passes through the top of the anchor 'shank', being held by a swelling at the end, and is thus hinged, so that it can be closed along the anchor shank for stowage. When in use, the stock is pushed up through the head of the anchor, until it comes up against a swelling in the middle of it, and is then normally fixed in place by a pin or forelock. The stock is then at its mid point on the anchor, with the arms on each side being equidistant.


The stock is set at right angles to the 'flukes' (the bits that dig in) and it's job is to turn the anchor over on the sea bed, so that this will happen. Larger ships had fixed stocks, which for those of Victory's period were wooden.

Edited by Stockholm tar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More commonly referred to as a "Kedge Anchor" back in the day. Smaller vessels might use these for more common anchoring tasks... larger vessels would use these for light duty - usually to warp the ship around in harbors or shallow anchorages.  Also used to pull a ship thru narrow passages or rivers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...