Baseboard Alternative

Greetings,

An alternative to the typical hardwood baseboard with brass pedestals for ships that may not come with cradles, I like to make my own. I have used oak, ipei, maple, with simple pedestals of my own design. For my current project I found a weathered 2x4 on the beach that I will cut down to correct length. I will also reduce the thickness to about an inch. We live on Narragansett Bay, so one can usually find all the weathered wood needed. The particular 2x4 I found has turned grey and the edges have beautifully rounded due to "life at sea". I expect I will make up some pedestals from other wood I have kicking around. Wood pedestals provide another option for mounting the ship to the base instead of the typical screw. I cut slots in the pedestals to accommodate the keel width then, with the ship set in place, I drill small holes (1/16" dia.) horizontally through the pedestal slots and the keel. I then drive a tight fitting brass pin (usually stuff left over from kits) through the holes in the keel/pedestals. The length of the pin is the outside width of the pedestal. The pins should fit such that they can easily be pushed through the holes for removal. Note: the pedestals should be fastened to the baseboard with screws that are the correct length to avoid piercing the bottoms of the slots which would prevent the keel from settling in to position.     

wq3296

Greetings Ross,

After I get the 2x4 it cut down and finished I will get some pictures out. Since I am now working on a naval vessel, I think I might take the propane torch to it for a battle worn look. To me the appeal of the drift wood is the nubbyness of it. I need a change from the buttoned down look of the manufactured bases. I think my pedestal approach makes fastening the ship to the base easier. Not always easy to drill up through a 3/16" keel to install the typical screws supplied with the pedestals.

Another option may be tongue and groove oak flooring. These planks, used for flooring, are narrow so you could glue 2 or 3 together along the joints and then trim and rout the edges to achieve the required width.

wq3296 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)