MS Constitution Hull Planking

fletch944t

I did a search though the forums and didn't find any builds in progress where someone had attempted this. So, here's the question. Has anyone double planked the hull on a Model Shipways Constitution build?

I ask because I'd like to attempt it (for several reasons I won't bore you with) and I thought I'd need to reduce the size of the bulkheads by 1/16" to account for the extra layer of planking. However the tops of the bulkheads are already so thin, I don't know if this is possible.

So, if you've done this, how did you handle this? Or if you know someone who has can you point me in their direction?

Thanks,

Fletch

Clark Fletcher

Current Build: USS Constitution - Model Shipways - 1812 Era Specs

Fletch,

I haven't done a Constitution but I did do a Billing Wasa (single planked kit) that I double planked.  What I did was used a cherry veneer that's about the thickness of cardstock.  To minimize sanding and the chance of sand-through, the first planking has to be very smooth and the use of filler is needed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Been thinking about that, and it seems like it would be a daunting task at the very least. There's 3 different sizes of planking, (more on the actual ship) on our ship, so in keeping with scale, all 3 would need to be milled down to accept what-ever thickness of the second layer. I guess it's doable, but it does seem like a whole lot of extra work. But hey----where there's a will,------there's a way. :)

Cheers post-12186-0-65500200-1418690782.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

GLakie, I've been thinking about it a bit more and, as I see it there are three options:

1. Sand down the 1/16" hull planking strips provided in the kit to 1/32" and reduce the dimensions of the bulkheads by 1/32". Then the outer planking could be 1/16". Since I've already purchased 1/16" strips to replace the basswood strips provided in the kit, this is the most likely double plank option I would choose.
  2. Sand down the 1/16" strips provided in the kit to 1/32" and likewise sand down the 1/16" I purchased to 1/32". In effect, throw away half of the wood I purchased.
  3. Single plank the hull.  

Single planking is looking better and better.

Fletch

Clark Fletcher

Just got done looking at the planking plans again myself and I've got some dimensions. The entire transom and counter are 3/64" thick, along with both sides of the hull above the whales. The whales themselves are 3/32" thick, and the remainder of the lower hull is 1/16" thick. Most of it would be paper thin if it was sanded down.

Were you lucky enough to stock up on some of Jeff's wood? I wanted to, but right now, picking up Jim's saw and other tools are a priority. Plan to mill my own planking and take a stab at making my own rope. Should have the saw in January, and in March, the rope-walk.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yeah. I got a good amount of holly and boxwood from Jeff. I wasn't sure exactly what I needed and how much so I got everything 1/16". And, with what I bought, I honestly don't think I have enough to do the entire hull. I may end up having to sand part of it down to use on the transom and above the wales and use the basswood I have where the hull will get coppered. But, if Jeff is going to take orders till December 31st, I may sneak another order in. I won't need the hull planking for a while yet anyway.

Clark Fletcher

One other thought: who would ever look at the ship and say "Oh My it's 1/8th of an inch too wide; horrible!"

you may know and a few of us may know but as long as the final result looks sharp and clean 99.9% of the world will just admire the work.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat