SANSON by rcmdrvr - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50

looks beautiful Don, I really like the color contrast of the wood planked hull to the black top

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

Well, the basic hull and superstructure is pretty much complete.  Now beginning to work on various deck structures.  Here is the brass railing that will go on top of the wheelhouse.  Slowly, I am beginning to acquire the skill of soldering.....a very necessary skill in this boat building hobby.  The final photo is the railing ready for painting.

post-13869-0-02005600-1424791643_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-05709000-1424791648_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

Started work on the life boats.  The kit provided metal boats which I did not like but decided to modify slightly.  First I added about 1/8 inch to their depth and I added a rudder.  I think they will be OK once painted.  They do get covered in canvass.

post-13869-0-33069100-1425996666_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

I painted the dowel for the smokestack.  Adding the brass rings was a bit of a challenge.  I still have a lot to learn about working in metals.  I think they will look OK once I touch up and get the rigging installed.

post-13869-0-24372500-1425996761_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I painted the dowel for the smokestack.  Adding the brass rings was a bit of a challenge.  I still have a lot to learn about working in metals.  I think they will look OK once I touch up and get the rigging installed.

Hi  Don,

How did you bend the brass rings for the smoke stack?

Thanks!

Brass rings made from brass wire.  I used a torch to heat up (anneal?) the wire to get it pliable.  Next I bent the brass wire around a slightly small diameter dowel to form rings.  I cut a small grove around the smokestack at the location of the rings and slipped the brass wire rings over the stack and into the groves.  Carefully marked the length of the rings, took them off the stack and cut and filed the ends square.  Final step was to epoxy the rings in place in the precut groves.

I have been working hard on the Sanson over the past few weeks.  Sorry, I have not been real diligent with my picture taking.  The model has some rope coils on the deck which had to be recreated.  I built a little jig to accomplish this.

post-13869-0-73762900-1427812330_thumb.jpg

The model has two life boats on its upper deck with deck gear used to maneuver the small boats overboard.  The small boats included in the kit were made of "pot" metal and required quite a bit of work to make them look like real small boats.  First I covered the upper "deck" with 1/8" wood so later I could attach rings for the covers.  Next I added the rudder and tiller.  A bit of roughing up the metal with 400 grit sandpaper, priming and painting got them to where they looked OK.   I hand sewed the canvas covers and roped the completed boats in place.  I think they turned out OK.

post-13869-0-64219700-1427812697_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-07193200-1427812707_thumb.jpg

There were a lot of small details that I failed to photograph; but I have declared the Sanson completed.  I built a stand out of some scrap lumber.  My photography is not very good but here is a few photos of the completed model.

post-13869-0-25013600-1427812797_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-17786400-1427812802_thumb.jpg

Greetings Don,

Very nice job. One small thing - from what I could see you show the prop attached by a small dia. pin. In reality the prop shaft would be much thicker, closer to the dia. of the prop hub. I suggest you re attach the prop using a dowel or thicker rod to replace the original one. Beyond that she looks good.

wq3296