endeavour shrouds & ratlines (moved by admin)

Just about to start rigging the ratlines on My Endeavour. However, according to the Caldercraft plans the ratlines go across all 6 shrouds on the fore & main masts. But according to the AOTS on page 96 they( the ratlines) are "Only every 6th goes to the aftermost shroud". Ideas anyone?

Interesting question. Steel (1794) states that the ratlines only go across every 6th lower shroud. However, contemporary models show all the ratlines going all the way across.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Geoff, sorry to hijack your thread - I hope it is OK as it is related and may be of use to you also. I will move the question to a new topic if you wish.   Good luck with your rigging - please be careful when rigging around the spars etc (as testament from my experience - see my log :( )

I am trying to establish whether the leading pair of topgallant shrouds were served along their full length similar to the lower shrouds?

Any advice most appreciated.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Pat, as far as I can tell the topgallant shrouds were served along their full length. But with all things like this there can be 4 or 5 answers to every question! In the end I think we have to go with looks right to us! All the best, Geoff

Don't know if this helps but here are some pics I took of the shrouds/ratlines on the Endeavour replica recently.

post-1505-0-86113000-1435564102_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-47399900-1435564130_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-24375200-1435564159_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-94150200-1435564186_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-31366900-1435564218_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-99130900-1435564250_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

thanks a lot Hornet. It seems even more confusing now! The AOTS has the ratlines going across the shrouds one way & the Endeavour replica another! I'm erring in favour of the replica & the AOTS has it wrong but who really knows!?

Thanks for the feedback and the photos guys - but I am afraid the issue remains unresolved :)

It is the TOPGALLANT leading shrouds  that I am interested in - The lower leading shrouds were definitely served all the way down for the lower masts and this would suggest, that for the same reason (preventing sail chafe) that these also would have been but I have yet to find definitive support/evidence of this.  The fact the shrouds are so high up makes photography difficult and having perused Lees, Steel and the AOTS noting is clearly stated.  Stil to be checked is Marquardt - 18th Century Rigs and Rigging and Ray Parkin's drawings of the Endeavour.

cheers

Pat

Hi Banyan

I dug out another pic from my collection of the Endeavour Replica. It may help you. If you are able to zoom in (this pic was cropped from a larger one)you will see that the Topgallant leading shroud has not been served along its full length. It appears to be only served at the top and from just above the crosstrees and down from there. The other shrouds seem to have been served in the same manner. Hope this helps.

post-1505-0-37278900-1435722020_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

I think the question to also consider is where the people who build and rig replica ships, write AOTS books etc get their information from?  I'd guess that these people similarly suffer from lack of clarity and definitive answers because they use exactly the same (hopefully primary) sources available to the rest of us (i.e. there isn't a 'book of secrets' out there that you are only allowed to see if you are building  a full sized replica!).

Maybe the question is how much variation would there have been across a contemporaneous fleet simply because of differences of opinion and standards of the officers and men who actually did the work, ostensibly within the official accepted standards of the day.

When faced with this question on my Snake build, I chose not serve the top and topgallant shrouds all the way down, but this was based solely on my personal opinion that the serving would make the shroud look to thick and out of scale.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks for that photo Steve which confirms my issues around these shrouds and hence my questions.  The primary source are non-specific and hint/imply that the leading leg of each shroud set at all levels (main, top and topgallant shrouds etc) would have been treated the same?  However, from the photos I have etc and confirmed by your photo the replica at least doesn't have a full-length served leading shroud leg at the topgallant. 

Beef Wellington offers a couple of very valid points also so I think I need to review some contemporary models and have a look also.  My initial thinking on this was based on practicality in that "how often were these sails set and braced in such a way to cause a potential chafe problem?"

Many thanks for the feedback - now back to looking at NMM models online :).

cheers

Pat