Alexander Kent is good.  I have read almost all of his books.  A great way to learn how the British navy operated in the past.

David B

The relatively new Kydd series by Julian Stockwin is good.  I'm on the second book now.  Rather than the series starting with the main character being a midshipman, this series starts out with the main character being a young landsman.  A wig maker.  Kydd is grabbed by a press gang and brought to serve on a British man-of-war.  Interesting to get the below-the-deck perspective for a change.

post-20029-0-14854400-1447008803_thumb.jpg

Erik

Just started reading Parkinson, seems pretty good. Dewey Lambdin's books are pretty good, too. And I heartily recommend any of Stockwin's, Kent's, O'Brian's and Forester's books, too.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just started reading Parkinson, seems pretty good. Dewey Lambdin's books are pretty good, too. And I heartily recommend any of Stockwin's, Kent's, O'Brian's and Forester's books, too.

Thanks Canute. I haven't read Stockwin but I plan to and like you I have enjoyed the others you mention. There's one other whose last name is Hammond. I read one of his and enjoyed it very much. If I find his first name and the series he wrote, I'll pass it on.

Jazzchip

Jazzchip, I agree with you about that website. I like to check it out occasionally to see if anything new is in the works. We have a pretty good library where I live, so I usually start with them.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild