Sign in to follow this  
brunelrussell

metric scales

This is going to seem pretty retarded to some of you, but I need a large amount of basswood strip to lay the deck of my Great Eastern model, which is over seven feet long.  I've never been terribly good with anything involving numbers. so I need advice on what size to purchase.  The deck planks of the prototype were seven inches wide, so I assume I'll be needing some obscure (to me) metric size.  At 1/8 inch per foot scale. this comes out to a tinch over 1/16 inch.  What metric size would this be equivalent to; those .20 type numbers mean nothing to me.  Also, what would be a good source for such a large lot of lumber?  Many thanks to anyone who could help me.

Posted (edited)

1/8 per foot scale means 1 to 96 scale (1:96). 7" width divided by 96 gives 0.073 inch, which is 1.85 mm in metric.

Edited by Y.T.

One can go crazy trying to mentally 'translate' a duodecimal measurement into metric. It is much simpler to use a scale ruler of the appropriate scale and continue to think in (full size) feet and inches than decimalize a scale measurement  and express it in full size.

So, say at 1:48 scale, 8 inches is always 8" on the scale rule, not .666 recurring of a scale foot, or 0.01388 recurring of a full-sized foot at scale size, or..... (I expect your eyes have already glazed over and your attention wandered.)

Posted (edited)

Since you live in the US, why bother to change to metric. At 1:96 scale, 1/8in represents 1ft.  6in is half of a ft or 1/16 in at scale.  1/16 in basswood sheet stock should be readily available at most hobby outlets to be ripped into planks.

What about the extra inch? Planking is 7in, not 6in.  1in at scale is 1/96in, about the thickness of a sheet of paper.  I personally would not worry about this small difference in order to be able to use readily available commercially available sheet stock.

For general measuring, I agree with druxey, buy an inexpensive architect’s scale.  The triangular type available at office supply stores will include a 1/8 inch (1:96) scale.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

I wish to pursue the idea of using 1/16" to represent 7" H.O. scale.  Am I being too finicky about precise scale?  It would make things infinitely easier to use the 1/16

stuff, of course, so I'm tempted.  Give me some opinions on this so I can decide, and thanks.

First we define the terms and scales.

1:96  or 1/8" = 1'  is a semi miniature scale  often used in ship modeling

although it is 1/2 museum scale (1:48) in any one dimension - the final subject - being a 3D construct is 1/8th the volume

of a museum scale model.  It is difficult at best to try to be precise with scantlings in miniature scale- how it looks to the eye

is more important.  Under rather than over works better.

HO scale is 1:87   It is about 10% larger than 1:96 

You have not stated your actual scale for your model.

With your 7" value - I was thinking thickness, but a contemporary liner would be 4" thick on the main gun deck  -

so width it is.  the outside limit would be 10" - 

1/16th inch  is 5.4" in scale .

At 1:96 that is going to look "busy" for plank width.

Get the 1/16" - but use that for the thickness.  Use a steel straight edge and VERY sharp knife blade the slice off the plank width from

that.  Given the small scale involved, the most I would recommend as far as caulking rep is to add a slight walnut dye to the glue at the

plank edges.