MESSAGE_Cover.jpg

Message in a model

Stories from the Navy Room of the Rijksmuseum by Ab Hoving

Distributed by: Sea Watch Books, LLC, Florence, Oregon

www.seawatchbooks.com, seawatchbooks@gmail.com

This book grabs your attention with a catchy title and a beautifully illustrated dust jacket, and never lets go! When you first open “Message in a Model”, your first impulse will be to thumb from page to page, studying the nearly 400 remarkable photos, stopping briefly to read a caption before going on. Only after completing your photographic tour through this book, will you start to read Ab Hoving’s many stories, which are truly intriguing. It starts in 1889 when the Dutch Department of Defense donated some 1400 models and maritime heirlooms to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. A substantial number of the artifacts would remain in storage, unseen and unappreciated by the public. Not designed to last hundreds of years, many pieces would suffer from the ravages of time.

MM%20Pg%20092.jpg

Realizing that time was not on their side, the Rijksmuseum brought Ab Hoving onboard in 1989, as head of the Dutch History restoration workshop. For the next 23 years, Mr. Hoving would work with a small team of colleagues and volunteers, painstakingly bringing the collection back to it’s former glory. These efforts would culminate in the reopening of the Rijksmuseum in 2013. This would be the first time since 1927 that the public could visit the Navy Model Room.

Along the way, Ab Hoving added to his knowledge of these artifacts, which he shared with visitors to the museum. It was during these tours that he noticed how the demeanor of the attendees changed from one of interested surprise to one of enthusiasm. It was this observation that would be the inspiration for this book. “Message in a Model” deals with 54 subjects that represent a wide range of

artifacts, or artifact groups. With such a magnificent collection at his disposal, you would think that the majority of them are magnificent sailing ships, such as the example featured on the book jacket, and in the photo to the right. This is not the case. One particular model selected by the author is anything but magnificent. In fact, it is referred to as an enigma. This vessel actually existed, but what was its purpose? Hoving offers some compelling theories as to what it’s possible use may have been.

MM%20Pg%20151.jpg MM%20Pg%20178.jpg MM%20Pg%20154.jpg

He also gives reasons why this strange craft could have contributed to a war being declared! Many of the subjects chosen by Hoving involve technological

innovation and inventions that were submitted to the Navy Board in the form of models. For numerous reasons provided by the author, many of these ideas never

went any further. The motives may have included political jealousy, ambition, economics, a lack of understanding, or merely that some were ahead of their time.

This brief review touches on only a few of the diverse subjects this remarkable book contains. They were chosen as a brief sampling of what awaits you inside

“Message in a Model.” The lavish illustrations, coupled with Ab Hoving’s stories will entertain and intrigue you, while stimulating your imagination. This book is highly

recommended.

MM%20Pg%20206.jpg

Reviewed by

Bob Filipowski

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered this book after I saw it from Bob Filipowski.  Next year when I go visit my mother in Amsterdam, I am planning to visit the Rijksmuseum as well as the Maritime museum in Amsterdam.  Last time I was there naval areas were both closed and being renovated.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I saw this headline and thought it referred to the old practice of placing an actual message inside a ship model by the builder. Quite a few messages have been discovered in 17th and 18th century ship models since the advent of fibre optic cameras allowed conservators to probe the depths of models without disturbing anything. I've seen them myself  several times over the years in my work with museums. The messages are mostly greetings from the builder describing the date, the weather, his family, all sorts of things, and is a charming link across the centuries. 

In fact I've done it myself on most of my ship models in the last 20 years since I first found out about the practice.  It's a great way of injecting just a tiny part of your personality into your work. It may never be seen by anyone,  but then again.... it might!

Like Overdale I also place hidden messages inside my models. They usually start with something like "Oh, this isn't good. If you are reading this then the main hatch has been sprung. I wonder what the year is? My name is Jim Lavelle and I built this ship in 2013. blah, blah blah details about me, where ship was built, etc."

I also have a habit of making a scale sailor for each of my models, It helps me visualize things. On my sloop Providence when I was done I sealed him inside with a note. It's fun to wonder if and when the note will ever see the light of day again. If we are lucky our creations will long outlast us.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

• 5 weeks later...

I picked up this book at the confeence and it has arrived.  A great read with a lot of surprises.

David B

Excellent book.  Lots of interesting tid-bits and surprises. 

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).