Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

1,728 profile views
  1. Futtock shrouds at the top of the lower main shrouds. Regards, David
  2. Finally finished the ratlines on the lower main mast shrouds. Took a lot of time, which is why I haven't posted in a while. Now for the foremast. Regards, David
  3. Main mast shrouds up -- ratlines still to come. I spent a lot of time getting my deadeyes to line up. Regards, David
  4. Here's the completed main mast. Many of the parts, such as the mast top shown in closeup, need to be hand-made following the plans. I think my next step will be do to the shrouds on the lower part of this mast before moving on to the next mast. That will put some variety in the build, and also help to forestall "repetitive shroud fatigue" later on. 😛 In previous ships I have attached the yards before doing the shrouds and stays, but I think I'll do it after the shrouds are up on this one and see how that goes. Some concern about access, but we'll see. Regards, David
  5. Hans, I don't mind at all -- want it to be right when I describe it. For the benefit of other readers: the quality of wood in this model is excellent -- as good as any I have seen in the best of other models I've built. James, I'm not sure I understand your comment. Other than the resin decorations, this is a fully wooden model. Regards, David
  6. Here's the first section of the main mast. The supplied wood is basswood, so I had to stain it. Regards, David
  7. Here's the top for the first section of the main mast. Regards, David
  8. I have now completed all of the hull except for the rear lantern. It's mounted on two stiff wires and if I do it now I know I'll prang it during rigging, so it's the last thing. These pics show the cannon port lids and cannons, external hull rigging points, and some external walnut hull decorations. I have left the cannons brass vs. painting them black. I'm a sucker for the look of brass on a ship, and these are so beautiful that I can't stand to paint them black. Regards, David
  9. Finished the channels and the deadeyes for the lower shrouds. The deadeyes are attached with stiff wire, which becomes the chain plate and attaches into holes in the hull with a nail and glue. The masts you see are just for alignment of the deadeyes to the shroud attachment points. I haven't worked on them yet. Regards, David
  10. Rudder completed -- see picture. True confessions time: this is where you learn just how much of a purist I am not. If I had done the rudder properly, I'd have soldered hinge pins and tubes to the copper strip to create a rudder that would move. But I don't care if it moves -- I just want it to look good -- so I put on the strips but the rudder strips are simply glued to the hull strips. I also didn't mount a horizontal post to the top of the rudder, because I don't want to damage the painting by opening it up where the underlying hole is into the hull. I'm happy -- but those of you who take historical accuracy and proper workmanship seriously may be horrified. I hope you don't abandon your seats in this log! Regards, David
  11. Forecastle railings on side, front and back finished, along with pin racks, catheads, bowsprit decorations, and staghorn cleats along the inside of the ship's bulwarks. Regards, David
  12. Completed the bowsprit -- pictures below. The top railings have been left long going up to the forecastle until I build the forecastle railings and can then trim them back to match. Regards, David
  13. A while back in this log I mentioned that I wanted to build the bowsprit so I could figure out how and where to shape the curve on the leading edges of the forecastle planks. My concern was that I had stopped the planking too early and wanted to be careful in how to shape it. I've progressed on the bowsprit to the point where I could dry fit a curved railing and figure out that alignment. Pictures below show the curve I ended up with, and the curved railing installed. I've left a lot of excess railing above the planks which I'll trim down to align with the forecastle railings. The whole vertical portion of the railing will be covered with an ornament. Regards, David
  14. And the finished bowsprit deck, mounted. This is not an easy item to get shaped and fitted. Regards, David

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...