Jump to content

shipaholic

Members
  • Content Count

    467
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About shipaholic

  • Birthday 01/14/1959

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Warrnambool Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

1,354 profile views
  1. Finally got all the yards "dressed" with blocks and now working through adding all the running rigging
  2. I am still working on dressing all the yardarms with the various blocks, pendants and footropes, and fitting various blocks to the rigging. Once all the blocks are in place I will install the running rigging
  3. Welcome to the Endeavour club, I will watch with interest. Don't be afraid to get agressive with the sanding of that first layer of planks, use some fairly course grit on a wooden block and get it free of any bumps, doesn't matter if they get a bit thin in spots, I even used some filler on mine to fill the dips. Believe me the smoother you get it the better the next layer of planks will go on. The second layer planks are very thin and warp and buckle easily and they won't sit right on an uneven base. Cheers Steve
  4. Hi Scott I think the hole in the deck is for the stairs to the deck below, I think the main hatch behind it is created by placing a frame and grating on top of the deck planks. Trouble is that hole doesn't look far enough forward Cheers Steve
  5. Hi Scott Yes I also built this kit about 30 years ago, and am currently building a bigger 1:51 scale Endeavour. Be careful about using the Marquardt book as reference, it has quite a few errors but mostly its a good reference especially for spar dimensions and some of the finer details not in the kit plans. The AL kit rigging plans are mostly correct, but as I said, lacking detail. I will follow your build with interest. Cheers Steve
  6. I have been doing a fair bit lately, mostly getting all the blocks prepared, stropped and fitted. Due to the Covid-19 lockdown here I am hoping to spend the whole 4 days of easter working on her
  7. Fitting the topsail tye blocks today. I realised that I should have put them on before installing the topgallant masts because they go over the mast head like the shrouds. No problem I just pushed the caps up, lucky I didn't use much glue on them.
  8. Hi Sab The windlass heads are the ones that came with the kit, they are cast metal. The quarter badges are ones I made and carved myself using 4mm thick boxwood. There are many parts that I have made myself, such as metal parts and a lot of the rope that I made myself using a rope walk. Also there are many parts I have purchased separately such as blocks, some ropes, cannon barrels, lantern, helm etc. Most of the wood used is what came with the kit except for a few items made with wood I have purchased or left over from previous builds
  9. Today I finished fitting the blocks and attaching the crossjack yard to the mizzen mast. Yard is attached to mast using a sling-parrel, then slings through a large single block on the yard. Also changed the parrel on the gaff. Found some nice 5mm wooden balls in a local craft shop, applied some wood stain/lacquer and they look fine. I noticed that the HMB Endeavour replica uses one double block for the mizzen topsail sheet sheet lead. I have stayed with two single blocks.
  10. Still a long way to go, maybe a couple of hundred hours. I have been building this ship for 9 years now because I don't get to spend much time on it.
  11. A diversion from the rigging this week, made and fitted the stern window shutters. I made them with a window shaped raised bit that fits snugly inside the widow frames when closed, they stayed in place when just sat in position , then I made hinges. Also fitted the rudder pendants.
  12. Another set of pics, I have paid attention to detail getting the rope thicknesses correct and shaping blocks, also showing the light blackening of standing rigging to simulate weathered tarred ropes
×
×
  • Create New...