Model Expo Syren

I've been looking over the build logs and this seems to be a very impressive kit.Anybody have any comments with there  experience building it. The instruction book is 130 pages is it laid out well? I might have to bite the bullet and buy for my next build. It sure looks like a sweet kit and its on sale right now!

Thanks Scott 

Working on : Shrimpboat

Built: Bounty Launch

Scott, got to agree with the others, a superb kit with very good instructions. And you can chat with the designer Chuck Passaro

right here on MSW as he is one of the Admins, ask all the questions you can but Im sure you wont be dissapointed.

ben

Can't go wrong with this one. Excellent plans are surpassed only by the 130 page, full color instruction manual. Model Exo service is outstanding if anything is not right.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks everybody, I really like the instruction book. There are plenty of pictures and tips, plus being able to ask Chuck is a big bonus. I've bought a few things from Model Expo and very pleased, they are a great company.

Scott

Working on : Shrimpboat

Built: Bounty Launch

• 1 month later...

I am building The Syren from MS`s kit, have completed the hull, and am in the process of plating the bottom.  The manual is by far the best of any kit I have built so far (  only 6 ).  I have made quite a few mistakes, but I still feel it will turn out to be a decent looking piece of work.  The mistakes were my own, failing to follow Chuck Passarows detailed instructions, and due to my own impatience.  You almost dont need the prints, which are themselves clear and detailed, but it is a kit for the experienced modeler - which I am not quiet yet.  But I am enjoying the challenge immensely.  I had to push aside my almost completed " Flying Fish ", due to the fustration of the rigging.  But I will return to it when I finish the " Syren ".

racouch444

• 6 months later...

Chuck's instructions are outstanding and yes, he is usually close by.  Just make sure you have a clear picture in your mind of what you're reading/doing always with an eye toward the future.  If you come up with a question, post it on your log.  Many fine Syren logs were lost but the builders are still here to offer suggestions if needed.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

See - How can you fail to build a great model with the designer of the model helping you. I'm a very religious man but I don't get this good of response to my prayers.

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134