HMS Victory by mdkboggle - Caldercraft

George,Daniel and Bob and to all that have liked the post's i have made i say thanks guys.

Daniel

You sure know how to get me at it don't you lol

Here we go  :D

The entrance port

I have checked both McKay and McGowan and i did a re scale from McKay's plan drawings that are 1/192 and it seems the port is the correct size provided i got my math right.

The port is 9 mm wide on the model and 4 to 5 mm on the plan depending on if you include the width of the printed lines and is as far as i can tell near as damn it right.

But,,,,

The Entrance Port has changed over the years and i think this is a important thing to note.

It seems that at one time or another there was a external frame added that was not there before.

On some pic's you can see the yellow of the ship inside the canopy walls (at left side pic 1) but later there was a frame added (see pics 2/3)

I think i may add this frame to aid in the tidy up of my Entrance Port and to add just a little more detail and eye candy if nothing else.

Did it look like this in 1805?

Well i would bet my Dog it did not

I would even say that in 1805 the ship did not have a entrance port and if it did it would not have been like we see today but this can be said for almost everything you now look at regarding Victory.

I would like someone to correct or confirm my port measurements if possible just to make sure i am at least in the ball park with my sizes,that would be cool.

Thanks Daniel for pointing this out to me sir  :cheers:

Now,,,,what do you think regarding the Prince of Wales Feather's?

should i leave them alone or scratch build a Crown or a shield or other that MAY have been there,high up on the stern?

16903606123_f6c924d2d5_n.jpg765-F by Tim Doman, on Flickr

17336340060_fc88970656_n.jpg2008_07_22_alex_cap_g by Tim

Doman, on Flickr

17521721412_ca60272775_n.jpg2008_08_20_victory_donal_oneill_d by Tim Doman, on Flickr

17337462319_dfe4f3d7e5_n.jpgTemp test fit of canopy and size of doorway. by Tim Doman, on Flickr

please note.

Pics are for reference only and will be removed if needed.

Anyway that's it for now,i am going back to start some copper tiles on the hull,,,,,or the dog if it gets in the way ;)

Back soon and thanks again all for looking.

Tim

Hi Tim, i think Daniel might be right. Looking at the photo's of the actual ship the entrance port does look wider than the one on the model. Another reference is in the actual ship photo's the entrance looks almost if not the same width as a gun port. Something for you to ponder over i think   :cheers:

Hi all

I have started to copper plate the hull but not as the instructions tell me to

I have marked the waterline and then run masking tape along the line so it really stand out,bad eyes you see lol.

I then set out 2 lines of tiles from the waterline in the standard brick fashion and then marked the vertical joint lines down to the keel.

A spare plank was set 13 tile lines down to take up the natural bend of the hull,at the point where the plank bent round to meet the waterline at the bow and the stern.I spot glued this plank in place and used a pin at each end to secure it in place.

I then tiled up and back toward the stern from this line toward the waterline.

I have now painted some copper paint on the lower keel and another line of tiles will now start from the keel working up toward the line of tiles you can see set out along the plank..

I have never done this job before and i am following a build that comes from the book "Period Ship Handbook"

Is it going to look ok or will i end up in trouble,,,well i dont know yet but i will find out the hard way lol.

More to come on this as i get more done.

.16984444693_145b2edde9_n.jpgCopper plating the hull by Tim Doman, on Flickr

17417219960_16938b665c_n.jpgCopper plating the hull by Tim Doman, on Flickr

17602456412_706b1e4c16_n.jpgCopper plating the hull by Tim Doman, on Flickr

17604812321_239a44d03a_z.jpgCopper plating the hull by Tim Doman, on Flickr

Ok thats it for now but a big thank you to all you guys for your input and for looking.

P.S

I am still looking into any entrance port issues and i will come back to this later in the build as if there is any alterations to be made,they can be done later when fitting the canopy and steps.

Again,thanks all for looking.

Tim

Bob

Yea i am going to grout it with Blu Tack so i get no fungus problems like frank has said lol.

Ok tiles so far

This is the state of the tiling along the waterline so far.

I may or may not add a finish strip but i will wait until both sides of the ship are completely tiled before i make my mind up.

Anyway,so far i have this,,,,

17428693518_c8d91e827b_n.jpgTiling the waterline with no batten to hide edges. by Tim Doman, on Flickr

17428701958_2c2eab0031_n.jpgTiling the waterline with no batten to hide edges. by Tim Doman, on Flickr

16996322984_396ba02805_n.jpgDSC_0405 by Tim Doman, on Flickr

17617022832_c0465d824a_n.jpgDSC_0406 by Tim Doman, on Flickr

As usual the waterline will need a tidy up but so far it looks a hell of a lot better than i thought it would for a first timer effort.

ok thanks for looking and back soon guys.

Tim