I am putting the hull planking on my Fair American and have gotten to a point where I may need to place a joggle plank.  I have gone through 3-4 pieces of wood trying to make this piece, but am failing.  Are there any tips or suggestions?

Jeff

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

Jeff,

Have you looked at the tutorials here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php

There's some instructions within them on "how-to".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's not clear to me exactly what problem you're having. Splitting the wood seems to be one of them and that can be avoided by not cutting into the grain of the wood. For example, looking at your second photo, if you were cutting out the top edge of the plank, you'd want to be cutting from the right side to the left side. If you are cutting the bottom, you want to cut from the left side to the right side.

Apart from that, I'm confused by the shape of your plank. It's wider at the left end than at the right. (Again, looking at picture 2.) It should be narrower at the left end. The whole point of this type plank is that it tapes to a point where it's too narrow (less than half its full width) and must then be continued with two planks. You might want to go back to the page on the site with planking tutorials and take a closer look at the one on "Planking a Bluff Bow" by Collin Lloyd and the Primer on Planking by David Antscherl. Take a look at the 2nd & 4th drawings on page 2 of the latter document.Those should illustrate what I'm talking about.

If this didn't address the problems you're having, please post more details.

Cheers -

John

Thank you for your reply.

Each attempted try(piece of wood) is not laying in the same direction(bow to stern), so maybe that confused even me.  LOL

One of the things I tried, I had seen in one of the documents off this site.  It showed laying out a tracing of the mating plank and transferring that to a wider piece of wood, then they sort of ran a parallel line to create a curved plank.  I think my issue is a combination of poor fairing of the bulkheads and carving of the plank.  I think it is getting better as I have added some additional planking since my last pictures.

Jeff

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor