HMS Victory by Jonesey - Corel - Scale 1:98

Had a break from stern fillers today and did some other stuff

Finished installing the gun port backings and painted them black.

Cut, shaped and dry fitted the deck beams part 28

Tested the fit of one blank without bending, just to get a feel for how much bending is required

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed today's efforts

The lower deck I've attempted to age it. I applied some walnut stain (which comes out black) then scraped it back to reveal the original surface.

The walnut has really penetrated into the deck but looking it closely, it's left some lovely black lines in the grain after scraping

I'm not worried about some of the blacker areas towards the front & rear of the deck as these areas will be hidden by the main deck

20190803_190026.jpg

20190803_190033.jpg

20190803_210417.jpg

Edited by Jonesey
Adding photos

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of an accident tonight.

I snapped off the top of one of the bulkheads 😕

After sanding the edges down there was a gap of about 2 mm which meant the piece I intended to glue back on was 2mm lower than it should be, so I had to make a small filler to raise it back up

If it all sticks ok, it shouldn't be a problem as the top deck isn't glued down yet and the offending piece will be hidden on the outside by the hull planking and on the inside, it's covered by the top deck

Set me back by another evening though. 

• 1 year later...

Jonesey thanks for posting on my build log. We are on the same boat, literally !!!!

How is yours going? I am having a lot of free time now, so work is going pretty fast. I will update my log today. Doing 4 planks a day (a pair on each side). I shape the planks and set them early in the afternoon, let them dry and sand them at night.

Soaking the planks for half an hour and applying heat with a hair dryer has been enough to shape the planks. I use white wood glue in between the planks and CA glue for the plank-frames bond. This is just my second planking after the Artesania Latina Swift so many mistakes have been made, but the ultimate goal for this first planking is to have a smooth, even, correct shape surface; so I am starting to loose the fear on committing errors that can be corrected. For the second planking my approach will change, looking for a beautiful finish.

Considering I am a little bit ahead of you, please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hi Eugenio

Progress has been very slow this last year - work & life always get in the way

However, I've moved the shipyard from the garage to our old kitchen area which doesn't get any use and intend to carry on in the warm throughout the winter.

My first layer of planking is progressing - I'm hopeful this is the most complex part of the build, but time will tell!

• 9 months later...

I can't believe it's been so ling since I posted, or indeed worked on the model

Anyway, I've reached a milestone of sorts - the first layer of planking is now  complete

The hull is riddled with errors & mistakes, some avoidable, some entirely of my own making and some due to a total lack of experience

This is my first ever attempt at planking

See what you think

20210727_202942.jpg

20210727_202952.jpg

20210727_203012.jpg

20210727_203021.jpg

20210727_204118.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jonesey, I love your pictures, your comments and hate that you are so very close to Portsmouth, I live in Dallas, TX 😄.  I have just started dry fitting my Victory's.  I bought two of them with the wild idea of learning on #1 and doing better on #2 for each step.  

Best of luck and hope to see you doing well.

• 2 months later...

Jonesey 

I love your Log, you seem to be progressing well. I have mine still boxed and reading the disgustingly printed sparse booklet, goodness knows who wrote that. Like you I am seeking guidance. Quite a few  bad comments on this model  which put me off starting. At $1065 and $85 postage I am feeling disillusioned. So after seeing your, and Vinces, Posts, I am a little more ready to start, probably after Christmas.  

Looking forward to seeing more. Merry Christmas and a great new year.20211125_122521.thumb.jpg.de75c3126174ee9ce8a22edbd7415148.jpg