shroud questions

lionfish

The shrouds go down onthe same side as they go up: both ends of the pair are onthe same side.

The foremost pair goes on first (always forget whetehr that is onthe postside or not...), the last one (if it is an uneven number of srhouds per side) has an splice it it, so that there is an eye that can be put ocer the mast top.

Jan

The shrouds go down onthe same side as they go up: both ends of the pair are onthe same side.

The foremost pair goes on first (always forget whetehr that is onthe postside or not...), the last one (if it is an uneven number of srhouds per side) has an splice it it, so that there is an eye that can be put ocer the mast top.

Jan

the splice is just like the loop made by the shroud pair?

If you are fitting Burton tackles a good dodge is to incorporate the tackle pendant with the single shroud. Then you don't have to try and splice/sieze the single shrouds together. Most ships had these tackles (sometimes named masthead tackles) fitted,often not shown on kit plans. I use the forward shroud when I do this,BTW,shrouds were fitted Stbd pair first then Port and so on.

Dave :dancetl6:

If you are fitting Burton tackles a good dodge is to incorporate the tackle pendant with the single shroud. Then you don't have to try and splice/sieze the single shrouds together. Most ships had these tackles (sometimes named masthead tackles) fitted,often not shown on kit plans. I use the forward shroud when I do this,BTW,shrouds were fitted Stbd pair first then Port and so on.

Dave :dancetl6:

so if i understand you correctly the odd shroud on both the starboard and port sides are connected in a similar way the regular shroud pairs are? and the tackle pendant is essentally a loop in the shroud that a block on the rest of the shroud loops through?

No, the odd ones are connected in a different way: you can see it (once you know :) ) in the pic above: the normal pais are seized as a pair, on one side of the mast. The singles are seized to each other "ON THE OTHER SIDE of the mast.

The burton pendants (especially when they are single (larger ships had a pair)) are also seized to the one on  the other side of the mast. When you have both one burton as well as a single shrould, you could combine them as a regular pair of shrouds, whcih minimizes your amount of splices and seizings)

Jan