Realism....

The Old Man

I might point out that not all plastic modellers like to weather their models. This kind of practice is most common in those who make armor models. Many people who make cars like to present them in showroom condition. As do some plane modellers, especially those who make passenger aircraft. And - dare I say, many plastic ship modellers also like to present their models with no weathering.

If you have ever seen a real life ship berthed in a harbour, you will see that they are impeccably maintained - especially military ships. As for our sailships, all those sailors had to do in their idle time was to scrub the decks and keep the place clean.

So - I will apply weathering where it needs it (sails). But given I am modelling a military sailship, the hull and deck itself should look impeccable. This is not a slovenly merchant ship! :)

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I might point out that not all plastic modellers like to weather their models. This kind of practice is most common in those who make armor models. Many people who make cars like to present them in showroom condition. As do some plane modellers, especially those who make passenger aircraft. And - dare I say, many plastic ship modellers also like to present their models with no weathering.

If you have ever seen a real life ship berthed in a harbour, you will see that they are impeccably maintained - especially military ships. As for our sailships, all those sailors had to do in their idle time was to scrub the decks and keep the place clean.

So - I will apply weathering where it needs it (sails). But given I am modelling a military sailship, the hull and deck itself should look impeccable. This is not a slovenly merchant ship! :)

We have four separate boat harbors filled with all kinds ships, of all types and sizes in our community. 200-300 boats at any one time. More in the summer. You can't believe all the derelicts and rust buckets. Coast Guard Buoy Tender showing rust and lot's of grime. NOAA Ship always has some rust. The military ship that come in, the same. The only super clean ships I usually see are the 50-200 foot super Yachts. That's because they are paying some poor kid to run around all day with a rag to shine it up.  Work boats? Ferries? Tugs?, Container ships.  Most are rust buckets. North Pacific is not a friendly place.

I  no longer write very well, and have MS, so sometimes people misconstrue or get confused as to what I am trying to get across. So, if I miss the mark or offend, I don't mean too.  They tell me my IQ has dropped from a Masters level to around 10th grade during the past 10 years.

I like the Character of the old wooden boats or ships. Cracked wood, dripping rust and peeled paint. The smell of diesel oil in the bilge, smells like money.

I like the Character of the old wooden boats or ships. Cracked wood, dripping rust and peeled paint. The smell of diesel oil in the bilge, smells like money.

Then that's the way you should build them.   :)   Everyone builds differently and for different reasons.  Go for it.  Open a build log and we will follow.

Edit:  I forgot about this one... http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10558-sponge-diving-boat-trechandiri-tirhandil-by-mhmtyrl-mehmet/ Lots of character.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Then that's the way you should build them.   :)   Everyone builds differently and for different reasons.  Go for it.  Open a build log and we will follow.

Edit:  I forgot about this one... http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10558-sponge-diving-boat-trechandiri-tirhandil-by-mhmtyrl-mehmet/ Lots of character.

I thought about opening a build log on my current project. Decided not to because: This is my first build. No prior experience. I wanted to make sure that I could complete the model. Not start a log and have it end unfinished. Nor did I want to start a log and have the model end up in the wood stove.  I have taken many pictures during the process. Years ago I was once a wildlife cinematography. I still see some of my footage on TV sometimes. So I have kept good photo's and records of construction. I am 60% finished with the model. A Historical Society is already interested in it. Not that it is good. It's not, compared with what I see on this site. The ship I am building is very historical. As far as our research, no scale model of the ship exists anywhere in the world. We'll see how it all pans out. Then maybe a log later. I put information about the ship in your historical section. If it wasn't for for the Neva's presents in the North Pacific, Hudson Bay Company and the British would have controlled the area, and Alaska would be part of Canada today.