Quick question. In the old ships copper bolts in the keel were 'clenched' via the ends being walloped with a mallet (hammer) so the ends spread causing the end joint to tighten.

Does this mean that the heads would protrude slightly and spread? I have looked at some photos of the Victory and really cannot tell (plus its using a lot of more modern iron fastenings)

I am considering doing this on the model as opposed to filing the bolts flush with the surface of the keel but wanted to check how authentic a process/result this would actually be.

Looking at measurements at my scale(1:64) the 1 1/8 bolt would be 0.4464 mm wide I am using 24 gauge which is 0.511 undrawn (0.46ish drawn) but may keep the undrawn width as if clenching does spread the  end then the bolt ends would have a larger diameter than the initial starting diameter. It all depends on how far the bolt spread. if a little then I may just use the slightly wider bolt and file down and if more so then try clenching myself.

Cheers for any pointers (am I getting a little anal about accuracy on this model, perhaps..)

Bolts were clenched over a rove or washer.  This may take place in a countersunk hole, especially on the exterior or where there is another piece to be added on top, above the keel, below the keelson, say.

Thank you, so using a slightly thicker copper rod in the first place could be argued to represent a rod that has been clenched and countersunk (for the visible portion).

To be honest at the sizes involved a difference of a tenth of a mm would take a highly practiced eye to recognize..

Joss,

That seems to be the way a lot the detail-oriented scratch builders are doing it.  I think I have seen one or two that actually clenched the bolts but most just do a bit over-sized.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)