Virginia 1819 by gonzz0 - Artesania Latina - Scale 1/81 - US Schooner - first POB effort

Thank you Nils! Very well explained and don't worry about the pics, I get your meaning, they are clear.

Just have to decide on which method now. I think because of the warp is small I will use the second method.

Also, I've been thinking about making a 'keelholder clamp' with separate blocks inbetween the bulkheads instead of two long strips to clamp the keel; that way maybe I can get everything to dry into the correct position as well..

Edited by gonzz0

Thank you Nils! Very well explained and don't worry about the pics, I get your meaning, they are clear.

Just have to decide on which method now. I think because of the warp is small I will use the second method.

Also, I've been thinking about making a 'keelholder clamp' with separate blocks inbetween the bulkheads instead of two long strips to clamp the keel; that way maybe I can get everything to dry into the correct position as well..

Yes clamp it in between the bulkheads which is how my jig worked, along with nils idea could be the go.

Current Build:HM Bark Endeavour, scale 1:64, Caldercraft static kit (Build Log)

Hello again, Nils,

I have a question regarding your proposed solutions; (I still did not correct it because this issue is still bugging me in my mind)

I think your suggested method works perfectly if the keel is warped in the midsections; however, as you can see in my photographs, my keel is warped from the one-but-last bulkhead (BH6) over BH7 up to  to the transom (T).

If I use your method, I'd have t make a circulasaw cut from the start of the warp (BH6) all the way to.. the end (T)??

If i then correct the keel, will my transom not become stepped and look like this? :

post-23330-0-80645800-1456137421_thumb.j

Or will it also be possible to correct the last section by only adjusting the part of the keel between the last two bulkheads (BH6) and (BH7 and the transom with your method? Because I'm afraid there's not enough wood there to keep it from splicing when I put force on the keel to adjust it after making the horizontal cut... As you can see, the last bulkheads don't go down to the bottom of the keel....

Sorry to bother you with this again, but I'm just afraid that if I do this wrong I'll ruin the model...

thank you already,

Ben

post-23330-0-80645800-1456137421_thumb.jpg

Ben,

yoùr comment is right, and as the warp is only effecting the stern end, I suggest to end the horizontal circular saw cut appr. 15-20 mm before the transom. The keel will then be fixed at the end and the warped part will pull into the correct position. For safety reasons I would put a (removable) clamp over the aft keel area in order to prevent this portion from splitting and giving the sternpost stability during the process (depending on the keel`s ply quality). There`s no risk in ruining the model, as the warp is minimal as you said....

Wish you good success, thumbs up....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Okay; the keel correction worked and turned out almost perfect, thank you very, very much for this Nils!!;

Onwards with the planking;
I have another question, and I don't find an immediate answer anywhere, so here goes:

post-23330-0-53908200-1456472517_thumb.jpg

Do I cut of the planks so the ends touch up with the transom and are flush with it (see red drawn option 2),  or

do I cut them off so they overlap the transom (See red drawn option 1) and therefor, if you take a stern view, you can still see the individual planks on the sides of the transom?

I realise that in most ships you have a rabet line to solve this issue, but AL has seen fit to let you plank the ship (both layers) first) and only then fit the keel sections on there, so I do not see how exactly to proceed.

Or is this a matter of taste? I think not, but I don't find this in the books or manuals I have...

Thanks already!

Okay; the keel correction worked and turned out almost perfect, thank you very, very much for this Nils!!;

Onwards with the planking;

I have another question, and I don't find an immediate answer anywhere, so here goes:

attachicon.gif2016-AL-Virginia 1819-Transom plank dilemma edited.jpg

Do I cut of the planks so the ends touch up with the transom and are flush with it (see red drawn option 2),  or

do I cut them off so they overlap the transom (See red drawn option 1) and therefor, if you take a stern view, you can still see the individual planks on the sides of the transom?

I realise that in most ships you have a rabet line to solve this issue, but AL has seen fit to let you plank the ship (both layers) first) and only then fit the keel sections on there, so I do not see how exactly to proceed.

Or is this a matter of taste? I think not, but I don't find this in the books or manuals I have...

Thanks already!

Hi Ben,

Glad you got that bend sorted. I'm not sure if I've understood your question and can't exactly remember what I did here except for these photos from my old build log if thats any help?

post-8909-0-50660400-1456473954_thumb.jpg

post-8909-0-34838900-1456473957_thumb.jpg

Current Build:HM Bark Endeavour, scale 1:64, Caldercraft static kit (Build Log)

Hi Ben,

nice that you`ve fixed the warp, it would have looked at you ever after if not.....

The planking now is coming nicely.

For the planking ends I would choose  version 1 (overlap the transom) so you see the planks against the transom in view from aft. If the transom also has a structural planking, the side planking would also end up overlapping with the stucture-planked transom

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 1 month later...

Ahoy mateys; it's been a while; busy at work, busy at the 'yard, and much progress made: 1st layer of planking is done, just need to hammer home some nails, snip them off and start sanding & filling & sanding again...

Pin is in the 'correction plank' between upper & lower bands.

post-23330-0-42400900-1459188216_thumb.jpg

Bottom view; made some smaller errors but all in all very happy with the result, this being my first ship. Still, learned a lot that will not befall me next time :)

post-23330-0-09947600-1459188217_thumb.jpg

Rear view fully planked hull; can't wait to continue.

post-23330-0-72829300-1459188217_thumb.jpg

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress.

Greetings,

Ben