HMB Endeavour longboat by Telp - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Hi all

I am new to the site and hopefully as soon as I get some pictures up I can show where I have got to with this my first build. I have now reached the rigging stage and like many a newbie I am daunted to say the least. I have already sited the main mast and the bow mast before I read that it is best not to do so prior to doing some work on them. I am now in the throws of putting together tackle blocks however my issue now is that from what I can see I need to put the sails on the masts which then makes it very difficult to site the blocks. My question is as such, can I just rig the boat first and then try and put the sails in place or is there a trick or two I can learn?

I am doing loads of reading as I want to prepare a lot of the items as close to how they should be made as possible, I am taking things pretty slow and will attempt a few newbie builds which will give me the principles to try something bigger in the future. If anyone has built this model I would be grateful for any decent pictures as the rigging instructions with this kit are near on hopeless to someone who has no real idea. Thank for any help and I will get some pics up tomorrow hopefully before I go and see the Who live in London on Saturday.

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

I don't have the answer to your question, but I'm sure other members do! Good Luck!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• 4 weeks later...

Well after three months of learning loads from this site and attempting to move along I have finally, apart from the odd touch up, sort of finished my Endeavours longboat, I will post a few more pics as I would welcome critism ect as to what I could do better. I have made many mistakes along the way and the rigging is as best I can make out from the awful kit instructions, but I have never enjoyed doing something so much before.

post-23963-0-82297600-1457225329_thumb.jpeg

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

• 1 month later...

Hi Telp,

I am currently building the Endeavour Longboat also. Any tricks or tips you learnt along the build and would like to pass on would be appreciated. It looks like you did a great job. Your right about the instructions - TERRIBLE! :(

Edited by Trim

This may help a little http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8158-hms-endeavours-longboat-rick01-al-160/. It's my first build and I agree the rigging instructions aren't very helpful but a bit of research will clarify things a bit. The builds here should also help with rigging http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/51-msw-group-build-of-an-18th-century-longboat/.

Rick

Edited by Rick01

G'day Rick,

Thanks so much for the reply. I am actually following your post on your Longboat build and have taken many good notes. I am really loving my build BUT I am so used to the likes of TAMIYA plastic kit instruction that are very, very, detailed. So I am a little lost. But I will push forward. Cheers mate. :)

I actually re-rigged it recently following more closely Chuck's longboat in the area of the stays for each mast using dead eyes instead of tying the stays directly to eye bolts as the instructions show.

Rick