Gammoning of the bowsprit

Ray1981

Does anybody have some nice pictures on how to apply do the gammoning of the bowsprit. I have two books on rigging but I cant find a good picture on how to start and end with this. I hope someone has some experience with this and like to share it with me.

Thanks in advance

Grtz Ray

Sorry no pictures, but hopefully I can describe it clearly.....

I know that the gammoning begins by splicing a small eye into the end of the gammoning line, reeving the line through the eye and hitching it around the bowsprit. It then passes between the gammoning hole and up around the bowsprit moving forward to aft on the bowsprit (each turn lying aft of the previous one) and aft to forward through the gammoning hole (that is, beginning at the aft end of the gammoning hole and working forward). Alternative this way is what gives the gammoning its unique twisting shape. The line is then frapped (circled around) the mid-point of the gammoning. Lees states that the number of turns on the frapping is equal to the number of turns around the bowsprit.

The frapping is pulled tight to pinch the gammoning in the middle - this means that the gammoning itself must not be too tight around the bowsprit, otherwise pulling the frapping will not be possible and the gammoning won't look right. To be honest, I've never been able to get the gammoning looking great - only adequate....

I've also often wondered when the best time to attach the gammoning is - you can't wait too long otherwise the area will be too crowded to easily work the gammoning on......I hope this helps!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Ok well I kept further searching and just found another great book regarding rigging.

The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast (Dover Maritime) 

This books seems very helpfull I bought the Kindle version and it got some nice pics on how to do this job. Nevertheless when others have some tips feel free to response.

Grtz Ray

Hamilton

Thanks for answering

Good point regarding when to start with this because making this splice (i actually dont know how to do this) would not work anymore because I have other stuff on the bowsprit heheheh rookie mistake i guess.

but here a screenshot on how to do it, i think i was to fast with asking this on the forum.

post-23820-0-65328000-1456340866_thumb.jpg

p.s. I dont know if im allowed to post this because its a screenshot from a book. If this is illigal I will delete it straight away.

Grtz Ray

You will make your eye splice in the end of the line while it is off the ship.  Then to start the gammoning loop the eysplice over the bowsprit and pass the other end of the gammoning through the eye.  Tighten the line around the bowsprit so that the eye splice lies under the bowsprit and then commence the turns through the hole in the stem.  Each successive turn lying forward on the bowsprit and aft in the stem.  I think it is best to heave the gammoning well taut as you are passing the turns.  The frapping turns at the end will pull the the gammoning closer together no matter how tight you make the gammoning turns.  The sides don't need to touch.  In fact if they do you probably have the gammoning too loose.  Sometimes the gammoning is the only thing holding the bowsprit down against the upward pull of the fore rigging.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

The only thing I would suggest is taking more turns around the bowsprit - but this looks like a good start! I can see how at this stage it would be tough to put the gammoning on, navigating the tight spot in there at the front of the headrails....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

The only thing I would suggest is taking more turns around the bowsprit - but this looks like a good start! I can see how at this stage it would be tough to put the gammoning on, navigating the tight spot in there at the front of the headrails....

hamilton

If you can discover the order in which it was done originally, you are half way there.  Darcy Lever, 'The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor', available in an inexpensive Dover reprint, takes most of this stuff step-by step.  Model Expo has this book, I believe, and also places like Amazon, Alibris and Abebooks.  Don't pay more than about $20.

Cool! Thanks a lot.

I decided to try it another time and make it look a little better. So here a picture of my second attempt

post-23820-0-00154700-1456396990_thumb.jpg

post-23820-0-52907800-1456397000_thumb.jpg

I think this looks a little better.

Grtz Ray

p.s. Thos macro pictures shows very nice how good I can paint LOL. With the real eye it looked a little better 

Edited by Ray1981