GS Hypo glue / Beeswax

Quick question, anyone know If I can use beeswax on a line and also use GS Hypo fabric glue on the knots?  Will the beeswax block the glue, or possibly will the glue seep into the knot more stronger enforcement?  Any help would be awesome, thanks!!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hello Casey. I have not used Hypo fabric glue in conjunction with beeswax, but I have used beeswax with diluted white glue. The glue just doesn't go through the wax. So my guess is that Hypo glue will not have any effect over beeswax to secure knots.

In fact I stopped using beeswax at all for my rigging. I secure my knots with a mini drop of either Clear FLAT varnish or just diluted white glue. I NEVER use CA to secure my knots, by the way.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Thanks, I have never used beeswax.  Do you think it's ok if I put flat polyurethane on the lines

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

As long as it dries hard, and without leaving a shiny spot, like CA does, it will be OK.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Great thanks! 

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Casey, I use Testor's Dull Cote (flat) on my lines all the time - it has been on some of my rigging for over 12 years now with no problems evident at all.  I mainly use it on knots and coating the stays etc (standing rigging) as it partially 'fills' the lay of the rope and imparts a sort of tarred finish which is the objective on standing rigging.  However, me purists or those building museum quality models might not recommend this though.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Like Ulises, I use diluted white glue, or clear flat varnish to stiffen or secure knots.  Either works very well, and my rigging shows no signs of glue at all once it's dried.

Zoltan - when I use diluted white glue, I literally soak the line in it, then tie the knot (or belay it to the cleat or whatever).  The nice thing about using the white glue mix is that if I need to re-fix the line, I can just soak it in water to loosen it up and redo it.  I use the varnish for securing things that I don't think will ever have to be redone, like an eye-splice that holds the lifts to a spar, or seizings, etc.