Replacing plastic masts and spars...best methods and materials (edited by admin)

Hello Les here. I am building the Revell 1/72 Corvette Snowberry. Yes I know it's plastic. The main mast and yard arm are of course plastic. I know the yard arm won't stand up to rigging. The mast has a slight taper from top to bottom, then has a bend in the plastic so it sets the proper step for it when you set it in the hole on the deck. Not much strength in it either. Does anyone have some reccomendations as to a good course of action. 

It would be easy enough to replace the [lastic with wood.  just shape them to the same diension.  They will hold up to rigging.

David B

Thnx dg. The mast  and yard arm I can deal with. The mast, mast ring and the portion that mounts into the deck is all one moulding. The part that mounts into the deck is angled so when you slide it into the hole it sets the correct step for the mast. I can't modify the mounting position of the hole to accept a straight mast. Envision a straight mast with a few degrees of bend in it where it mounts to the deck. Cutting this appart and attaching a straight mast to the lower section would be a weak point. Any ideas?

You can use 3mm brass tube from the base to the crows nest and 2mm brass tube to the top.

Several brands...like Albion Alloys...have sliding brass tubes.

At the base of the 3mm tube you can insert a brass rod bent to the right angle....or insert the 3mm tube into another...larger tube there.

Another option...use the angled base of the kit provided mast....pin the brass mast into a hole drilled in the plastic base.

Robin :)

Edit: I still need to finish my Flower  :(

flower_zpsqaawph5g.jpg

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

• 2 weeks later...

Thnx dg. The mast  and yard arm I can deal with. The mast, mast ring and the portion that mounts into the deck is all one moulding. The part that mounts into the deck is angled so when you slide it into the hole it sets the correct step for the mast. I can't modify the mounting position of the hole to accept a straight mast. Envision a straight mast with a few degrees of bend in it where it mounts to the deck. Cutting this appart and attaching a straight mast to the lower section would be a weak point. Any ideas?

If you are replacing it with wood, you can just cut the mast step into the wood.  This is how most mast steps in wooden models are done, you have to hand shape the mast step to fit at the correct angle.  

This is what the base of the mast on my AVS looked like:

post-14925-0-28989000-1476547209_thumb.jpg